One the first, its just a back of the envelope calculation, but the second map works with 150mph, effective trip speed. I expect the research triangle will be 1m+ if its not by now.

Indeed, the original spreadsheet that this was based on had 50, 100, 200, and 300. This diary was the result of the observation that almost all the 1m+ cities tied together at the 200mph effective trip speed.

Politically, I think that's 66 Senators (68 if Denver CO could be included, but that's just at the edge of the limit on the Kansas City side, which is why it drops down to a dashed line in the second map) and a very large nuumber of House Seats represented. I think, consciously or unconcsciously, that's one of the reasons that the map attracted such attention on dKos. The standard is to think of fast rail for California and for Boston/DC, and the rest of the country gets nothing.

On whether the "1 hour" trips would really be one hour trips, if the vehicle was operating at a speed that allowed the "three hour trips" to be finished in three hours ... I don't think so, but I pulled out the sub-one hour legs anyway. For example, Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinatti if implemented with tilt trains can readily include Akron, Canton, Newark and Dayton enroute, plus a couple others (the main thing is to run through Columbus on an East/West alignment), and would plausibly be less than 4 hours end to end. So I pulled those out.

So its mapping the market, not mapping a particular technology.

On Houston / NOLA, I had it in, I'll probably put it back in. I took it out of the spreadsheet for the same reason as San Francisco / San Jose / LA ... but I'll put it back in next time I look at this. On NOLA / St. Louis, I think I just overlooked it (thanks).

On NOLA / Jacksonville, Jacksonville was not 1m+ in the 2000 urbanized areas data that I used, so it was not in the first map at all. I added it on a dashed line in the second map for the link that would be most attractive in Jacksonville itself.

In the added material on the end, which more reflected some of the concerns of the dKos commentary that I didn't want to write 50 identical replies to ... on the interstate alignment, I would not be surprised if it was preferable to run in a shallow trench in any event, to reduce cross-wind profile, so if a dive requires braking, I'd say stretch out the dive so that it doesn't. And I should stress more that this would be for the long stretches between urban areas, the Interstates are a lot more bendy when they get into areas that were already built up when they were constructed.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 06:15:59 PM EST
Politically, I think that's 66 Senators ... The standard is to think of fast rail for California and for Boston/DC, and the rest of the country gets nothing.

Good point.

Regarding Interstate exits, if that troubles your Kossack readers so much, please point them to European examples of high-speed lines along highways in practice. Best the HSL Zuid line in the Netherlands and Belgium, to be opened at the end of this year, because that crosses flat terrain like Florida:

(You can find lots of other pictures of the Antwerp-Rotterdam section here.)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 07:12:10 PM EST
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was not aware of this ... while Oz is further advanced in rail than America, its still only just now getting out from under a "protect what we have" attitude into an attitude of modern systems being used to servce additional transport tasks.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 07:17:07 PM EST
Further lines alongside highways: the line from Bruxelles to the German border (hilly terrain); almost all German lines, including Cologne-Frankfurt

(low mountains) have sections alongsaide highways, new Italian lines too, especially Milan-Bologna (opens soon) and Turin-Milan (half opened):

...some sections of all TGV lines:

...and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 08:51:26 PM EST
Man, you are writing my next dKos HSR diary for me! Thanks again!

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 08:57:46 PM EST
Pleased to help you :-) Our cause is common.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 08:58:57 PM EST
Bruce -- You are aware of the railroad diaries and railroad passion here, no???

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart. NOW!!!
by a siegel (siegeadATgmailIGNORETHISdotPLEASEcom) on Sat Mar 24th, 2007 at 11:11:33 PM EST
Mate, I actually contributed to a double decker train diary, when the diarist did not realize that NSW relies almost exclusively on double deckers

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Mar 25th, 2007 at 12:58:06 AM EST
Mea culpa ... hard to keep track who is involved where ...

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart. NOW!!!
by a siegel (siegeadATgmailIGNORETHISdotPLEASEcom) on Sun Mar 25th, 2007 at 09:27:16 AM EST
No surprises there ... weeks can go by when I only read the EuroTrib without commenting.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Mon Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:27:33 AM EST

Impeachment gets real