DoDo has written some of the best and most nuanced coverage of the 1956 uprising you can read anywhere. What makes it so good is that he has always been careful to eschew polemics.
by Matt in NYC on Thu Apr 12th, 2007 at 01:38:20 PM EST
NP. I imagine I too will try to dispel some myths also. One that I had to counter recently was that the US manufacturing is smaller than in the 1970s.

I have met a few chaps on some boards that somehow derive the answer to all the worlds problems comes from the USA or Israel or UK. I only want to show that these entities are liberal democracies and only have to be marginally better than any alternatives.

It is like the standard is sigma six for the USA but for anyone else it is whatever feels about right.

Rutherfordian ------------------------------ RDRutherford

by Ronald Rutherford (rdrradio1 -at- msn -dot- com) on Thu Apr 12th, 2007 at 02:13:59 PM EST

Is this no typo, is this seriously your standard? Being marginally better than the alternatives? That's a pretty low standard, and one incompatible with the basic elements of "liberal democracy" (where the standard to compare to is not something existing but laws and ideals).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Apr 12th, 2007 at 05:37:46 PM EST
Yes, I know I did not stretch the boundaries too much. But being new here, I did not want to chew off too much to start with.

Of course I could have used the standard of just above average. So let us we have a group of people and we determine what the average persons height is. We only have to add a person above the average to increase the overall average. Remember I was only trying to say the world is better with the USA.

So you want to compare it to sigma six? I don't believe any institution that man creates will live up to those standards.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

Rutherfordian ------------------------------ RDRutherford
by Ronald Rutherford (rdrradio1 -at- msn -dot- com) on Thu Apr 12th, 2007 at 10:12:33 PM EST
No government's actions in another country are democratic.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Apr 13th, 2007 at 05:38:44 AM EST
Remember I was only trying to say the world is better with the USA.

With the USA as it is, with its government and foreign policy, I disagree.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Apr 13th, 2007 at 05:40:27 AM EST
Just wait less than two years and the USA will have a new one for you.
We already see that the Republicans have lost both houses of congress. Democrats look pretty strong now. More "evil" money and more registered Democrats than ever before.

Now if only some other nations had that luxury of disposing their (what shall I call them)...
Like Zimbabwe.

Rutherfordian ------------------------------ RDRutherford

by Ronald Rutherford (rdrradio1 -at- msn -dot- com) on Fri Apr 13th, 2007 at 05:57:24 PM EST

UK election thread

by fjallstrom - Dec 12
67 comments

It's Tory Austerity Stupid!

by Oui - Dec 9