Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
Display:
"Just 1.3 percent of imported fish, vegetables, fruit and other foods are inspected -- yet those government inspections regularly reveal food unfit for human consumption."

The way I read the above:

as 100% of foodstuffs travel from (eg) ships out to shops and from there into our (or animals') stomachs;

1.3% is held back and checked for various contaminants.  The other 98.7% of foodstuffs are therefore NOT held back and do, indeed, travel out to shops and from there into our stomachs UNLESS a specific batch from that day's check is found to be unfit for (human) consumption

and if you assume that rather than deliberately sell us unfit food the rule is "Well, we think it's okay (Bob's belief system described above)", then we can assume that of the 98.7% that isn't checked the same amount (though not necessarily the same specific products?) is unfit for consumption.

It's similar to looking for smuggled goods.  You can search one container, or one lorry, or one person, but if smuggling is endemic you will only catch what you find.

Did I get that all wrong?

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2007 at 06:41:22 AM EST
[ Parent ]

Others have rated this comment as follows:

Display:

Top Diaries

Occasional Series