If they subscribe to the "law" of the undistributed middle, they are intellectual children of Aristotle.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"
by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Mon May 28th, 2007 at 01:37:20 AM EST
The undistributed middle is a logical fallacy. If you mean the excluded middle you have a point.

Bush is a symptom, not the disease.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 28th, 2007 at 02:59:38 AM EST
I get those old Aristotlian terms confused--sorry.  It's been awhile.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"
by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Mon May 28th, 2007 at 07:13:23 PM EST
I think I need to take another look at Fuzzy Logic. It's been many years and I was unimpressed by what I was told about it.

The economy needs to be thought of as a garden, not as a wild ecosystem
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 28th, 2007 at 07:21:21 PM EST
I suggest Bart Kosko's Fuzzy Logic for a layman.

My take on fuzzy can be found here:

And it's applications in the social sciences can be found here (pdf alert):

I have been told that fuzzy instructions can be written in Java.  So it is not THAT arcane.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"

by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Mon May 28th, 2007 at 08:16:56 PM EST

Ah, so fuzzy logic can be underlied by boolean logic.

One of my problems with logic is that it seems the question of which logic is fundamenal is a matter of choice because all can be constructed in terms of the others. So maybe one should learn all of them and then use the one that is more suited to the question at hand.

The economy needs to be thought of as a garden, not as a wild ecosystem