What more IP masking does one need than the fact that home internet service has dynamically assigned IP numbers that change with each connection? Also, the e-mail address used to create the ET account is not public, need not be traceable (or even exist after account creation), and it is not necessary to have another e-mail address attached to the account, let alone displayed.

Can the last politician to go out the revolving door please turn the lights off?
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Jun 17th, 2007 at 07:13:17 PM EST
I am saying that there is some doubt in my mind at this time. Perhaps other people who are more knowledgeable than I would be able to extinguish that doubt.

I know that my IP address seems to stick around, sometimes for days or even longer. I haven't actually tried to figure out exactly when it changes, though I do know it changes. I am willing to bet that I can be tracked to ET through even a temporary IP address if there was a desire to do so by my service provider, unless they are very careful to erase their logs or direct them to dev/null. Of course my service provider may refuse to release such information, but in the US I wouldn't bet very much on that.

I have noted that there are services that provide random ip addresses. Come to think of it, I believe that at least one person has been tracked through such a service and charged with a crime.

aspiring to genteel poverty

by edwin (eeeeeeee222222rrrrreeeeeaaaaadddddd@@@@yyyyaaaaaaa) on Sun Jun 17th, 2007 at 07:27:14 PM EST
Come on, it's not like posting the kind of content in this diary is going to get anyone in trouble in the US.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Jun 17th, 2007 at 07:30:26 PM EST
:) Ok I can't think of a good response to that.

aspiring to genteel poverty

by edwin (eeeeeeee222222rrrrreeeeeaaaaadddddd@@@@yyyyaaaaaaa) on Sun Jun 17th, 2007 at 07:40:17 PM EST
This kind of stuff is e-mailed around the US every day.  My right wing conservative uncle (who grew up in our family which is otherwise almost completely left-leaning Democrats) sends this kind of stuff all the time.  I (and most of the rest of the family) finally blocked him as spam so I didn't have to read it.

I can't imagine any reason why he would need anonymity to post this - at least from a US point of view.  It's what Rush Limbaugh spews from the radio on a daily basis.

In a way I'm glad Jerome posted it though so everyone can see what kind of crap inundates our e-mail boxes and radios over here.  Not to mention our eardrums.

Two years ago I went to a festival in a small rural town and sat next to a local couple at a fish fry.  While I waited for the person I was with to get us drinks, I eavesdropped on the local couple.  For the next fifteen minutes I heard about how the country was in a terrible mess and it was all because of Bill Clinton and how untrustworthy Bill Clinton was and did you know that Bill Clinton stole all the china off of Airforce One when he left office? That just goes to show how evil Bill Clinton is.  It was all I could do to not turn to them and say "turn off your radios, stop listening to Rush Limbaugh, google up some news reports and see how that story was debunked YEARS ago."  But I didn't because the person I was with would have been pissed at me for getting into (yet another) political argument.

by Maryb2004 on Sun Jun 17th, 2007 at 07:42:39 PM EST
agreed, but, on the flipside, posting on the potentially commie 'eurotrib' blog just might!
by delicatemonster (delicatemons@delicatemonster.com) on Wed Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:15:26 PM EST
Trust me on this one.
They know who I am.
by Lasthorseman on Sun Jun 17th, 2007 at 09:13:35 PM EST
Oh shit. And we don't.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Jun 18th, 2007 at 03:15:04 AM EST

Bigotry loses in Romania