I'm a great advocate of life long learning. Learning for the sake of learning and personal development rather than to be entirely career focussed without rounding it out with other skills.

I happen to be a fairly academic type so doing degrees and professional study suits me but I strongly support better provision for vocational qualifications and for general skills training. I don't believe that anyone should be stigmatised for choosing not to follow an academic or 'professional' path.

Good luck with your current studies!

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 12:44:15 PM EST

There are times I wish I had gone into skilled trades (carpentry) like my father, but I'm sure if I had, I'd think the other way around. Whatever makes you happy. I like the physical exercise with that type of work.

Look at the poll, I can't say I'm suprised, but wow.  Where else can you go where a third of the people are PhD students?

And I'll give my consent to any government that does not deny a man a living wage-Billy Bragg

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 12:59:14 PM EST

And then people wonder why there's a reluctance to post diaries ? Scrutiny by this lot can be a scary experience. It's why I mostly post crap diaries about trivial subjects nobody knows about.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 02:34:25 PM EST
Well, at the moment there are 22 votes and only one PhD.

And PhDs should count themselves lucky if they could write your diaries.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 03:40:05 PM EST
That's true, Helen writes very good diaries and plenty of very excellent comments on threads and other diaries.

I'm trying to think back on my own diaries but I don't think I have ever written anything related to my PhD except indirectly for one on communicating science.

I don't think that possession of PhDs here is really all that in itself, but people's expertise in various areas developed through their careers or hobbies or through being a sodding polymath is what I feel I can't keep up with.

I do think most people would appreciate that where others aren't necessarily on par in terms of depth of expertise, it doesn't mean that they can't make a valuable layman's contribution to a discussion.  On occasion though some comments or debate back on a point comes in a bit too hard and that can be intimidating when you don't have detail of terminology or expertise to articulate your point very well.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 04:50:30 PM EST
"reluctance to post diaries"

nice, i am not alone ;-)

by fredouil (fredouil@gmailgmailgmail.com) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 05:12:56 PM EST
"What does not destroy me makes me stronger" Nietzsche, who also said: "Do not fear the enemies who hate you, fear the friends who flatter you."

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 05:38:57 PM EST
Are you inviting people to put themselves forward for a battering from the critics in the name of character building??!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 06:53:04 AM EST
What battering?

Can the last politician to go out the revolving door please turn the lights off?
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 06:53:58 AM EST
only fish should be battered!
by PeWi on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:31:09 AM EST
I don't know about that: a plate of veggie tempura is quite hard to resist.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:48:55 AM EST
true, true - oh. I am getting hungry.
by PeWi on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:53:46 AM EST
Fish and chips is the best.

But only if thoroughly doused with malt vinegar.

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:20:06 AM EST
Sliced Banana

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:35:52 AM EST
Oh that was one of my favourite things in Thailand, fried bananas. I ate bags of them. Covered with sesame seeds.  Oh. Now I'm hungry.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:40:16 AM EST
A few years ago a friend of mine turned up with two boxes full of Bananas, we sent them off for 20 pints of milk and a couple of boxes of icecream, and had a couple of days trying every banana recipe we could think of. Banana milkshakes, Banana splits, banana fritters, banana pancakes, Banana Curry. Amazingly we all still eat bananas.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:56:01 AM EST
Where else can you go where a third of the people are PhD students?
Wikipedia in the good old days?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 06:55:42 AM EST
You mean before wikipedia bothered to have citations?

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 01:04:41 PM EST