I finished two books over the week-end:  America's Secret War by George Friedman, the founder of Stratfor the intelligence consultancy, and Stalin'sn Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith.

I would not recommend the first one to anyone.  This guy actually believes that the USA wanted to declare war on Saudi Arabia but decided to attack Iraq instead to send a message to the Saudis.  That's his premise about the "secret war", just like Vietnam was a message to China and the Soviet Union.

by zoe on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:12:44 PM EST
Well, Happy Birthday mmmm. I saw last night that you're studying acupuncture. If you come to the next meetup maybe you'll get to talk to my wife who's an "acupuncteur" (fr.) She studied 6 or 7 years and practices half time. The other half time she works as an occupational therapist, her first profession.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:28:25 PM EST
where did she study?  I'd love to talk to her because she has a golden opportunity to interact with one of the West's greatest acupuncturists who lives in Paris - something Sionneau
by zoe on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:34:47 PM EST
he lives in Paris and his name is Phillippe Sionneau and this is the forum at his web site

Helen, you might be interested in this as well

he's very good at using acupuncture for psychological issues

by zoe on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:37:05 PM EST
One day I too will speak french, but not today.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 01:13:08 PM EST
so, post in English.  we are all in Europe now.
by zoe on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 01:16:42 PM EST
One day I will be able to read french, but not today.

It's difficult to post or comment if I can't read it.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 01:29:15 PM EST
What one day? suddenly? you'll just speak fluent French? I want your training course. ;-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 01:28:39 PM EST
Yea, I will be Helen90 and it'll just take a couple of minutes (with futuristic music too)

The machine in question is a spinning dome code-named BIG RAT, which stands for Brain Impulse Galvanoscope Record And Transfer, or just a hi-tech  way of saying it can transfer the contents of one person's mind into another.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 01:34:34 PM EST
I do remember watching that as a child, but have no idea what was in any of the episodes

I also remember an even more bizzare series by the same people called The Secret Service

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 01:51:28 PM EST
Grief, don't remember that at all.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 02:00:51 PM EST
with the voice between the tracks from Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 02:12:14 PM EST
My wife will try to get on later and say hello to you. If not tonight then tomorrow.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 02:33:20 PM EST
Ignore this. it's already posted.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 02:34:17 PM EST
She'll try to come online later and speak to you, or another night if she can't tonight.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Mon Aug 20th, 2007 at 02:11:09 PM EST