My girlfriends father is just about to make the switch from analog to Nationa health digital. So this has come at just the right time.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 07:48:52 AM EST
I hope it is as useful for him as it has been for me.  Once you find ways of getting around the slightly annoying things, the benefits are great.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 08:10:34 AM EST
When you say annoying, do you mean truly annoying? or just not how I was quite used to doing it before?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 08:18:57 AM EST
Some aspects are annoying until you get used to it. But the volume thing, not being able to turn the volume right down, annoys me every day.

The delay in switching programmes irritates me too ie if you are on programme 2 and realise programme 1 would be better, you have to switch to 3 to 1 and miss the first half of a sentence etc and have people look at you in a weird way while you faff about with the controls. It's less convenient than the set up on the analogue (which was effectively programme 1 and programme 3 with a direct switch between the two) but not enough to make me change back to the old aid.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 08:33:07 AM EST
It's sad that a great technological advance is marred by design issues. Get Apple to design them or something !

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 09:40:46 AM EST
I know, it's silly.  Alas, I don't have access to the designers!  I wonder if there are feedback mechanisms (no pun intended).
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 09:43:00 AM EST
Also, in this era of bluetooth this and wifi that, there is no reason not to have additional controls away from the hearing aid (as, in your pocket). And with the advent of bluetooth handsfree cell phones, the components are probably getting cheaper.

The 3000 $ markup probably comes from the health industry standard markup rather than any true building cost...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères

by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 at 09:48:32 AM EST

Impeachment gets real