Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
Please note that your list (electrical engineers, computer programmers, and biotechnologists...) is one that I might have produced, too, and that engineers involved in manufacturing somehow wouldn't fit.

What are those engineers called, anyway? And why isn't this name immediately obvious?

Googling suggests that there isn't even agreement on a name -- "industrial engineering", "production engineering", and "manufacturing engineering" are all applicable, and get a similar number of hits. None sounds high-status to my ear. How many top universities in the US have a department? -- a program? -- a course?

Words and ideas I offer here may be used freely and without attribution.

by technopolitical on Tue Aug 7th, 2007 at 05:20:17 PM EST
[ Parent ]

Others have rated this comment as follows:


Occasional Series