Oh well, I might as well say this.

I like what ATinNM says, that it's nice to see you give a nod to each poster. But should we all do that? If we give a 4 to all but a handful of comments - even to the briefest and most banal - doesn't it tend to debase the currency?

It doesn't have to be a brilliance contest. I'm not in the least in favour of a spirit of competition on ET. But there are comments that are more substantial, informative, well-argued, than others. There are funny comments. There are reasons for giving a 4 to show friendship, sympathy, or support. But if we shower them around on every comment, what meaning do they have left?

I've actually thought this for a long time about your system, meta: it's nice but I'm not sure you don't overdo it! Obviously you go on doing it if that's what you want, but I'm just putting in a dissenting opinion.

NOT, I hasten to add, official, managementerial, or high-priestly - just my two cents.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 05:07:01 PM EST
I got a 4! I got a 4!
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 05:20:08 PM EST
If that's the effect it has, have another one on me!

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 05:39:39 PM EST
Sometimes, one must admit defeat.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 06:00:55 PM EST
I thought about that, but I decided the important part is the people, not the currency.  Sometimes, even an inane comment plays a crucial role in the overall thread, balancing the discussion and the point tension.

An essential characteristic of currency is that it must flow, change pockets, be well distributed so that it reaches everyone who makes an effort, no?  Sort of reorganizing the central banks.  I just think that it may encourage posters to be acknowledged and viceversa.

Besides, I will run out of room for all these trillions and ET will have to buy me a house with some land to store them.

Our knowledge has surpassed our wisdom. -Charu Saxena.

by metavision on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 06:04:29 PM EST
The community IS the currency. It's only through our mutual agreement that anything has any "value" in exchange.

As for Central Banks - they're obsolete, along with credit intermediaries aka Banks.

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 06:10:57 PM EST
Well it does appear that with a surfeit of bankers and economists in the  vicinity, I'm sure if you give them enough 4's they will shower you with interest.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 06:12:46 PM EST

Maybe, but I have noticed that a funny one liner, even a not very clever one) gets often more 4s than a longer, substantial, well-argued comment...

Although you might always answer that my one-liners are better than my long comments...

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 at 06:45:33 PM EST
my one-liners are better than my long comments...

Nah... They're not... But note I said "funny comments" just after "substantial, informative, well-argued". And I wasn't "rating" them in that order... :-)

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Sep 3rd, 2007 at 04:34:05 AM EST
Do you mean they are even worse?

by Melanchthon on Mon Sep 3rd, 2007 at 08:12:01 AM EST