I hope it's clear from my diary that I was in agreement with, and supportive of your actions.  My purpose in writing the diary was in part to underline the distinction between disagreeing with someones views and regarding their actions as unacceptable.

Jacob Freeze (aka FPS Doug) seemed to feel he was being discriminated against because of his views.  I don't think that was the case in this instance, although I do give an instance - in another context - where his comments may have been down rated because of a misunderstanding.

I think it would be helpful if the "About us" section of the site explicitly stated what actions are considered unacceptable.  Some examples we could give include:

1. Ad Hominem, rude or offensive comments aimed at another contributor

2. Repeatedly posting the same material all over the site

3. Deleting Diaries which have attracted comments - which then makes the dairy a collaborative project owned by the ET community as a whole

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 01:11:05 PM EST
Sorry, I guess, I misused you diary to make a statement about the situation with Jacob, as it has been mentioned in various places (and his name showed up here again) - so I used this place to clarify. :-)
by Fran on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 01:14:16 PM EST
I don't think you misused anything.  It may have been my diary but this is our conversation and people are free to bring up other topics if they so wish As thread originator I don't think I have the right to insist that people should only respond to my diary or using my frame of reference.

One of Jacob's complaints was that I had deviated from his line of argument and topic of conversation.  Tough.  It happens, and that is one of the beauties of online forums and casual conversations in real life.  No single person "owns" the conversation.

This is not a university or business seminar where the lecturer/leader rules people out of order if they stray from his topic or frame of reference.  The beauty of the "multi-threaded" discussion format is that people can always pick up on the original argument even as other side arguments are being conducted.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 01:34:25 PM EST
Rules of behaviour
Etiquette
Trusted user roles

It isn't more comprehensive because largely ET has been a respectful and civil place to engage in debates and discussions and we don't often see trolling behaviour.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 01:21:38 PM EST
Oops - I had read these when I joined a couple of months ago - and had already forgotten how comprehensive they are - although I think they could probably reference spamming and deleting diary/comments a bit more specifically.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 01:43:09 PM EST
See also A proposed banning policy. by Colman.

Nobody has ever been banned from ET before. We've explained how Jacob Freeze lost his posting privileges, but 1) he has been allowed to create and use a new account; 2) it has been offered to him to reinstate his original account.

Considering his behaviour qualifies as vandalism, he could have been banned by us fucking intolerant lieutenants.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 01:55:32 PM EST