I don't know who the front pagers are and as far as I'm concerned they are as entitled to their views as anyone else.  I think its great there is some sort of editorial board and can't see how the site could function without it.  I am amazed at the dedication and time so many people seem to spend on admin chores and they have my full support.  The impatience I sensed was in a number of other comments  one of which - by rdf - I referenced.  I was genuinely puzzled by whether Terry's arrival here via my link on Timesonline would be welcomed.  If what you say afew:
No, the purpose of this blog per se is not to influence mainstream opinion
represents the mainstream view, then I think the answer is no.

That has an impact on the question posed by this blog: What Values does ET Represent?  It is saying we are more a think tank for "progressive thinkers" rather than a direct attempt to engage with (US) Mainstream opinion.  Fair enough - I only wanted to know what the implicit (or explicit) strategy behind ET is.

Feel free to comment, even if you are a hated frontpager!!!

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:24:26 PM EST
The US mainstream is very definitely not our target: we're generally more Europe focused.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:27:46 PM EST

It's not unwelcome either. Just one of those things. I'd rather have new people coming in and some of them being annoying rather than not have new people coming in.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:28:54 PM EST
I'd like to very much support Colman's statement here.

I'd like to address (in some way, it's not easy) a "European/International mainstream." I'm much less interested in ET as a venue to address a "US mainstream" as I feel there are many other venues for that.

That doesn't mean I don't want to discuss with people from the US and about US policy, both are important elements of international politics.

But, as a site, what ET can be special as is a place for a European discourse with an international slant.

by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:33:03 PM EST

That is a good sumamry of my personal view. Is it the majority opinion? I truly don't know. Probably.

As to who is welcome, I hope you felt that you were. Terry... He's free to comment. Not quite the same...

The front-pagers are listed on the (duh) front page, below right, under the Blogroll. Sorry if this one is a bit touchy tonight, it's this knife I can't get out of me back... (not to be taken too seriously).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:36:00 PM EST
I let everyone off the hook by inserting that (US) in there.  Your original comment said afew:
No, the purpose of this blog per se is not to influence mainstream opinion
but the emerging consensus seems to be that we ARE interested in engaging with European/international mainstream opinion.  I wonder how our American members feel about that!

I'm very good at taking knives out of peoples backs, and I can be a rottweiler when I want to be.  Who was it, let me at him!!!!

Colman, colman stop holding me back.....

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:55:56 PM EST
This blog isn't directly the tool to do it with though. I would see other initiatives coming from here engaging with the mainstream.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 04:57:30 PM EST
Still, if sites like ET started pulling significant audiences away from MSM (which they are beginning to) doesn't that create a pressure on MSM to respond?

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:10:04 PM EST
The mass media (MSM) is stuck in a trap.

If they move to address the fragmentation of the Information Channels they lose the adjective "mass" and their economic basis.

If they refrain from addressing Information Channel fragmentation they lose their influence.

by ATinNM on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:22:03 PM EST
Well lets make it even harder for them!!

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:30:58 PM EST
Their only strategy in that case, would be to adopt the new messages. They would still lose direct political influence for a while, but they would still have access.

But it is a moot point imo. I can't see newspapers lasting too many years in their present formats. The Finnish paper industry is already closing mills at speed, both at home and abroad, in ackowledgement of those newspapers' forthcoming demise. No panic here yet in the fibre industry since 85% of Finnish fibre goes into packaging, not print papers. But there will be some expensive paper machines sitting idle for a while before they get sold off to other markets.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:31:39 PM EST
What is "their present formats"?

With the multiplication of free newspapers it seems newspapers will not disappear.

If you look at the content of the free newspapers, mostly full of sensationalism or celebrity gossip and of the advertising that makes them viable, and compare it to, say, weekly glossies (where the audience pays to see the ads and the gossip and pseudo-wisdom), maybe what has its days numbered is the "broadsheet" newspaper as a mass product.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:38:04 PM EST
Their present format is to deliver a loyal target audience to advertisers.

Free newspapers do not differ in this.

The market for LWC and super-calendared paper is still holding up (glossies, ad mailings, brochures, catalogues etc.) But even a couple of those have been closed by Finnish companies recently.

Basically many newspapers in the US and Europe are losing a few % sales each year and it is beginning to add up. Add to that the loss of classified ads. Circulation loss is unimportant as far as income, but loss of readers is hugely important in retaining a share of the total ad spend. A formerly wide-circulation Finnish newspaper 'Talous Sanomat' recently abandoned print altogether to focus entirely online - where they had built up a similar audience, or should I say 'community'

And interestingly even the ad spend is shifting (in Finland) with a move away from msm toward seminars, training, sponsorship and trade fairs.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:56:31 PM EST
and of the advertising that makes them viable,

Are they?

In France they are mostly losing money. It seems their real utility is providing influence to their owner ; the adds cover a part of the losses, but certainly not all of them.

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères

by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:59:22 PM EST
I find the whole thing throughly enjoyable.

The pluts have been pissing away their money buying newspapers at the exact moment, as you say, they are losing their major influence, importance.

Double butter on my popcorn, please.

by ATinNM on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:40:41 PM EST
Exactly. I just can't imagine why there are people buying stagnant print media at p/e 20 when they can get deep sea oil drillers with immense growth rates at p/e 10.

Buying influence is the only explanation.

Oh, and incompetence. Never underestimate incompetence.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.

by Starvid on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 at 01:17:11 PM EST
p/e ratios are not comparable across industry sectors.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 at 01:29:28 PM EST
That was kind of the argument...

By the way, when you look at the PEG it becomes utterly preposterous.

And one more thing, buying companies not to maximize profits, is that not the thing we are supposed to stop those sovereign wealth funds from doing?

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.

by Starvid on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 at 01:58:30 PM EST
The (US) is non-essential on this point, for me. I don't see ET (as at present constituted) as a forum for directly influencing mainstream opinion, full-stop. The operative word being directly.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 at 02:50:01 AM EST
I also am not interested in it, simply because enough of my time is already take up more locally - though I am interested in non-mainstream US opinion. That does not preclude careful observation of what goes on in the US, because it can affect us all.

I've always found a mainstream American very difficult to discuss with, and thus any attempt to influence those opinions is beyond my talents.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:11:56 PM EST
The US and UK have huge cultural differences glossed-over by the fact we speak dialects of the same Mother Tongue.

Me duck.

(Whatever that means.)

by ATinNM on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:25:08 PM EST
Well if we have to explain me duck...

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:38:08 PM EST
It is simply an anatidaen greeting of a tolerant type applicable to all, regardless of age, gender, race or relationship. It originates from the East Midlands of England, where divers and dabblers abound.

I advise against it's use except when in the locale or speaking to inhabitants or former inhabitants. It can also cause problems in France where it can be confused with Medoc.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:42:41 PM EST
I don't confuse it with Médoc, believe me, me duck.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 at 02:58:04 AM EST
East Midlands English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though spoken less commonly today, the dialect of the East Midlands has been investigated in notable texts such as the affectionately titled Ey Up Mi Duck[3] series of books (and an LP) by Richard Scollins and John Titford. These books were originally intended as a study of Derbyshire Dialect, particuarly the distinctive speech of Ilkeston and the Erewash valley, but later editions acknowledge similarities in vocabulary and grammar which unite the East Midlands dialects and broadened their appeal to the region as a whole.

"Ey Up" is a greeting of uncertain origin used widely throughout the North Midlands and South Yorkshire, and "Mi Duck" is thought to be derived from a respectful Anglo Saxon form of address, "Duka" (Literally "Duke"), and is unrelated to waterfowl. [4] Non-natives of the East Midlands are often surprised to hear men greet each other as 'Mi Duck.' [5]

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:44:44 PM EST
No no that's all wrong ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:58:04 PM EST
you en gunna get mi wi thattun.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 06:01:46 PM EST
Anyroad, I'm off to bed.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jan 1st, 2008 at 06:06:23 PM EST
Written out that way, it sounds strikingly similar to a strong Southern US drawl.  Odd.
by Zwackus on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 at 12:10:33 PM EST