Bingo on the Royal Border Bridge. Recognised at first sight, or was there some search involved?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 02:52:49 AM EST
some searching involved, I knew areas of the country where it wasn't, that cut out all of Wales, Most of Scotland and most of the Major rivers on the west coast.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 05:51:26 AM EST
is that the size of the picture you have? do you have it in an enlarged size? if so what does it say in orange on the front of the train in the third picture?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:23:53 AM EST
Ha, that'd be cheating. But presuming that jamesg is correct (it was my guess too) then the train is on the london bound line. I can't convince myself that the pattern resembles London Waterloo (which would be the obvious choice) so it's probably a local to Basingstoke.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:40:10 AM EST
I must admit i've been measuring spire heights and widths and wondering about the apparent green hedge next to the church.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:00:21 PM EST
Do you mean the display in the right (for the viewer: left) window? No, that's unreadable in larger size, too. But there are enough other clues there.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 01:09:29 PM EST
bigger version of the church on the hill then? :-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 01:58:17 PM EST
I don't think the church will be that much of a help (I ranged this difficult because no single clue is enough), but here it is -- cut from yet another photo shot at the same location:

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 02:22:27 PM EST
It tells me the direction of the track in the photo, and means I can check the church against local photos when I think I know where it is

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 02:34:23 PM EST
For the case you think you know, I left these clues.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 02:47:19 PM EST
Now I've had a  bit of time to have another look, and I'm fairly convinced it's either Northamptonshire or Oxfordshire. I'll have a search about later (being the county where I come from originally, it just has the feeling of the south end of the county)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 09:37:25 AM EST
Here maybe... ?

"What can I do, What can I write, Against the fall of Night". A.E. Housman
by margouillat (hemidactylus(dot)frenatus(at)wanadoo(dot)fr) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 09:56:03 AM EST
I think you're probably right, the trains fit  the clues given by the person who set the question.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 09:59:33 AM EST
and the spire looks like this I think it's a match

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:03:05 AM EST
You did it!!!

I was about to give a clue... Ceebs correctly narrowed it down to Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire (it is right at the border), I guess based on landscape and church tower.

But you could also have looked at the Trainspotting Bükkes network map, which distinguishes lines according to number of tracks and electrification system. In the non-mountainous part of England, there aren't that many two-track diesel lines running North-South (as evidenced by shadows).

Even better, if you'd checked (or asked me about) the DMU on the picture, it's a class 168/0, predecessor of the Turbostar -- and owned only by Chiltern Railways. They run London Marylebone-Birmingham. Which has North-South sections only in a few places, the Northamptonshire-Oxfordshire border being one of them!

As an endnote, this shot at Kings Sutton is another popular railfan photo site, though more demanding than Dawlish: the Sun is at the right angle only in late afternoon.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:07:26 AM EST
I do it all on landscape, and buildings. The train lines I only use to  get the precise position at the end. (I was confused by the power station for a bit, thinking that beeing unable to see the river  the picture must be from the south)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:29:57 AM EST
When I saw my first Kings Sutton photo, it captured me and I wanted to check out the location, but it was not in my map's register (was mis-spelled). While I gave an analytical route above, what I did back then was to immediately guess the region (based on, well... the background of other rail photos), and then trace along possible routes on the map. It took around ten minutes.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:56:14 AM EST