Do you have any poll data on voting for the UMP by French minorities (whatever definition)?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 03:46:00 PM EST
I didn't think they recorded ethnicity stats in France?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 03:49:28 PM EST
Not in censuses, but maybe in polls. But I inserted tthat qualifier in parantheses because being immigrant, or dwelling in the developments, or language or whatever other marker may show stark voting pattern differences from the general population, too.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 03:51:57 PM EST
Couldn't find much... Anecdotally, people of arab origin voting for Chirac is something I've heard of (and not only in 2002). And I'm not claiming that the French democracy is much healthier, especially with Sarkozy elected on Le Pen's program...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 04:33:52 PM EST
Well, I think you could make an argument that French democracy is healthier simply on the grounds that more French care enough to show up to vote.  As with Junior here in the states, it's inevitable that countries will screw up and elect shitty leaders.  Now obviously Sarkozy isn't nearly as terrible and dangerous -- or at least he doesn't seem to be, watching from here in the states -- as Bush, but I'm just sayin'.

Sarkozy does seem to get turned-on by America, which creeps me out.  And he looks like a rodent.  The French really must get rid of him.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 04:44:11 PM EST
Which reminds me to add a further angle: the rise in the Dem candidate votig share was probably in no small part due to non-voters activating themselves (I'm sure you could give figures).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun Nov 9th, 2008 at 04:42:12 AM EST