It is well known that many French trade unions, especially those in transports, have a quite a left-wing leaning and a vision more appropriate for the 19th century. This is public knowledge and objective opinion, IMHO.

Your not-so-humble opinion doesn't rise to well-known public-knowledge objectivity. It sounds quite like Thatcherian propaganda.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Nov 13th, 2008 at 03:24:27 PM EST
Honestly, I don't think so. I just live in Paris for quite a long time now. I'm myself in no way far right. Now you made me want to look for independent assessment of French transport unions, which I'll do, and I won't miss the opportunity to let you know what I found.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last! (Martin Luther King)
by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Thu Nov 13th, 2008 at 03:32:41 PM EST
I'm myself in no way far right.

BTW, while no one has accused you of that and I do not think you are far right (probably not even hard right, except for your reading of history), I'd love to discuss further your earlier strange dismissal of the fascist danger in Italy as figment of leftist imagination in light of recent events.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 04:57:54 AM EST
You think being called a thatcherian propagandist means that you're appreciated for your moderate politics ? Oh come on.
I'll gladly debate anything else - as soon as this thread ends (with me being right, and others taking all the glory, as usual! :) )

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 05:00:08 PM EST
I called you neither a moderate nor a thatcherian propagandist.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 05:24:14 PM EST
Yes but my post to which you replied, was itslef a reply to a post where afew was "dealing" with me as being a thatcherian propagandist.

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 05:54:50 PM EST
I am not afew.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 06:07:28 PM EST
You're reading the sub-thread sloppily again - with all due respect.

Afew called me that. You said "no one said you're far right". But afew just did, so your statement was mistaken, which is what I said in my last post.

It takes as much time expressing meaningful views as disentangling misunderstandings and misreadings.

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 06:35:37 PM EST
So now "thatcherite propagandist" = "far right". Your semantic transgressions are hard to follow...

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 07:08:18 PM EST
In fact, afew said "Thatcherite propaganda", not propagandist, where the same distinction applies as the one I pointed out regarding you echoing the UMP.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 07:11:29 PM EST
LOL your efforts to read back the thread are remarkable, but you still miss a nuance. Amazing, 'ey.

afew called my "not-so-humble opinion a Thatcherite propaganda". In my humble understanding of the English language, telling someone his opinions are a Thatcherite propaganda, makes him personally a Thatcherite propagandist, particularly since he doesn't keep those opinions to himself!

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 07:36:20 PM EST
May be, but yourself accepted just before the implicite opposition between moderate and thatcherite propagandist :) Entangling in our own posts, are we.

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 07:33:01 PM EST
In what way my "reading of history" reminds you of the hard right ?

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 05:01:47 PM EST
All this Great Muslim Menance undertone.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 05:25:28 PM EST
My turn to say:

HUHHHH ??!!!

I do not believe in the existence of a civilization culture, or religious war with the muslims - or the risk for it.
I do believe Christianism is objectively (it's almost orgasmic to use this word here now :))) ) more "enlightened", more humanistic a religion than Islam.

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 05:53:34 PM EST
That's pretty intolerant to say... and given that you say this not in total unawareness of Ottoman history, sounds like rather twisted hard-right stuff.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 06:12:23 PM EST
I'm ready to debate this anytime - but my way: rationally and with arguments (oh!, oh!)

I'm not passing a value judgement on muslims as others do on christians. I gave my opinion on which religion is closer to the values of the Enlightenment. It's a philosophical reflection, much like the recent one from His Sanctity Benedict XVI ! :)

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot franša) on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 06:41:14 PM EST

Impeachment gets real