And for  more substantive answer, we're making this shit up as we go along precisely because formalising rules too early would be fatally stupid and a waste of already precious energy.

So to clarify: this is, basically, Jérôme's gig. He has appointed a set of front-pagers to help set an editorial direction - very roughly - and carry out the admin functions needed to keep this place going, which sometimes includes police duties. Things get formalised when they need to be. Most things are handled in full sight on the blog. Some aren't, as you know full well.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 04:22:44 PM EST
Colman:

Maybe this works for you, but in my experience it doesn't work very well for most organisations and is not, in any case, in accordance with some fairly elementary principles of due process and natural justice.  I trust you don't work in the law, in management, in HR or in trade union movement, because that approach could very quickly get you into a lot of trouble.  If ET is ever to become more than a small collective, or alternatively becomes a target for unsympathetic activists it could also get ET into some bother.  The fact that ET is a voluntary body is not particularly relevant as far as the law is concerned.

"It's a mystery to me - the game commences, For the usual fee - plus expenses, Confidential information - it's in my diary..."

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:08:28 PM EST
I suppose that public hearings on all rulings and disputes would be the first obvious step towards proper justice?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:13:38 PM EST
No, most dispute resolution processes involve elements of confidentiality and privacy, and above all trust in the impartiality and objectivity of the process itself.  You seem to confuse transparency in structures and procedures with the actual process itself which can take place in camera at the request of one of the parties involved.  If things get serious there are also issues of representation, the presumption of innocence, the right to one's good name, non prejudicial disclosure of irrelevant information, and above all a separation of the roles of Judge, Jury, prosecution and defense advocates, victim, witness, and the public etc. to try and ensure the process remains objective and doesn't get over personalised.  However the biggest issue is a shared trust in the fairness of the process and the people handling it.  If that isn't there you don't have a basis for moving forward and festering disputes and people leaving becomes inevitable.  Is that what you want?

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:37:39 PM EST
The trust and impartiality of ET seems to be vested in the biodiversity of viewpoints - as it should be. The extent of success IMO is the effectiveness of self-regulation.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:46:21 PM EST
So to clarify: this is, basically, Jérôme's gig

No, this is ET's gig and Jerome is financing it--at present.

If he decided to pull the plug right now, no more ET.

Or would ET reincarnate somehow?

Those are legal-type issues that meet many of the nuts and bolts and lathes and parser conversations here.

I mean, "How to build a better future--and what's wrong with the present version" is ET grist-for-the-mill.  But when it comes to the future....of ET!

As I wrote a while back, for ET to be a community with power, as contrasted with a community that vests power in a leader...

As you have written a few times, fluid hierarchies....the best wolf for the job takes the lead.

But if the whole hunting trip is Mr. Wolf's, then when Mr. Wolf say "That's enough", we all stop hunting...whatever Mr. Wolf wanted to hunt.

I mean, I just sent some euros to Berhnard's site (moonofalabama) because...he works hard and is clearly sole owner.  With very few exceptions the article(s) for the day I by Bernhard.

At ET there are as many voices as people who can

--work out how to post a diary
--write a diary
--post the diary

How does the photo blog fit in to any proposed structures?

What if a person from...I dunno....Kajikistan...ripped the pics and sold some books?

Does anyone care?  The pleasure is in the moment!  And in the other moments!

What about if the person doing the ripping worked at Madam Murdoch's Times--and crowed about having ripped them off and how much money she was making....

I mean, who cares?

I 100% agree with Frank re: arbitration processes--that might be necessary if and when ET pulls enough eyes to pay some bills--

I think it's actually very simple:

ET is a community website
It is currently financed by Jerome a Paris

....

But if this is Jerome's gig, then we're all the support acts, right?  Or the accompanying musicians?

Heh...it hit me, like the master of Go saying, "Yes, there are masters of Go.  You don't believe me?  Let's play Go!"

The power is the power of ideas, to get beyond the power of muscle, whether bicep, brain, or finger--or money of course--

Who pay?  He the boss!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 07:07:08 PM EST
I'll add that ET Diaries Vol 1 is (IMHO) a good place to start for the diversity of expression here at European Tribune.

The only reaon DoDo's masterpiece about the Hungarian Revolution isn't there is that I felt it deserved a book of its own, but....I couldn't get the pictures to work!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 07:53:19 PM EST
but....I couldn't get the pictures to work!

What do you mean? Do they not appear, have my links deceased, or the copyright issue? If the second, I shall check, find all the pictures again and upload copies on my own Photobucket account. (I intend to do that slowly to all of my past diaries, but haven't finished even with the train diaries yet.)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 at 08:17:00 AM EST
All the pictures appear(ed) in the diaries, but I couldn't copy them across into a word document--I'm sure it's possible, it's just that...I couldn't do it when I tried.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 at 05:08:18 PM EST

UK election thread

by fjallstrom - Dec 12
64 comments

It's Tory Austerity Stupid!

by Oui - Dec 9