I tend to see anyone leaving as a personal failure, so I try hard to keep everybody around. What can I say?

Apart from being called intolerant, I don't think I mind much of what's written on ET.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 04:44:04 PM EST
Did someone call you intolerant?

"Pretending that you already know the answer when you don't is not actually very helpful." ~Migeru.
by poemless on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 04:47:42 PM EST

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 04:57:28 PM EST
I thought you were referring to what Frank wrote.  I didn't think he was implying that you were.

by poemless on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 05:03:36 PM EST
I hope you haven't construed anything I wrote as implying I think you are intolerant because that would be the very opposite of my intent. I wouldn't be here, were it not for you, and I suspect ET wouldn't be either.

"It's a mystery to me - the game commences, For the usual fee - plus expenses, Confidential information - it's in my diary..."
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:11:57 PM EST
A couple of times recently, but not on this thread.

It'd be nice if the battle were only against the right wingers, not half of the left on top of that — François in Paris
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:32:54 PM EST
It's not that I mind what's being written, it's that sometimes people want debates to be carried out on their terms and get all huffy when they're not.

It doesn't seem a very mature or useful attitude.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 04:49:44 PM EST
Please then define the terms of how debates should be conducted at ET.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:16:37 PM EST
not necessarily on your terms.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:17:39 PM EST
Of course. (I'm smiling now) But we do mix boxing and wrestling (and sometimes extreme fighting). The very fact that most rules are unstated is the power of ET. And, in fact, few rules exist (thanks to you).

The cusp between control and chaos is where innovation occurs.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:39:36 PM EST
Terms of the debate are settled in equilibrium between two sides who start out with different assumptions. It's a hermeneutical thing, Sven ;-)

Anyone who thinks he or she can control a thread is doomed to frustration, though. Threads will always go off topic.

by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Thu Mar 27th, 2008 at 02:27:47 PM EST
We're all adults here (any child members?) and have to take responsibility for our own actions - whether to go, to stay, to antagonise others, or to try and resolve disputes as they arise.  A certain amount of coming and going is inevitable in any case.  But I think you are taking too much on if you regard every leaver as a personal failure - unless you want ET to remain a primarily personal project - which is fair enough, if that is your intent.

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:18:39 PM EST
I've had a few run-ins here and I still believe they were about specific viewpoints that are still worth arguing about - otherwise I wouldn't still be here. We are human.

ET is an organizational microcosm that IMO models the future, not the past. This is what democracy is going to be like - we have to find ways to make it work.

For those of us with adult offspring - letting go is very very difficult. But it has to be done. Pushing out of the nest seems to me such a very basic, but painful responsibility.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:28:37 PM EST

UK election thread

by fjallstrom - Dec 12
64 comments

It's Tory Austerity Stupid!

by Oui - Dec 9