Are there copyright issues? I'm assuming not, and I can just Flickr (etc) everything under a Fair Use clause.

If it's going on dKos it's going to need an extra introduction, which I'll put together tomorrow.

To be fair to Obama, his Iraq speech today was much less fluffy and very much more explicitly policy-focussed. He did a bit more genuflecting to the US equivalent of 'Our brave boys (and girls)' but the proposals for getting out of Iraq were relatively clear.

He's still - absolutely - an American exceptionalist, but I think we know that now.

I don't think someone should ask him why god permits suffering. Asking him why America permits suffering and how he plans to work with Europe would probably be more revealing.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 04:43:18 PM EST
I don't think it was so much a fluff problem as it was an "Okay, so what do we do about it, and, by the way, why is this even a big issue right now?" problem.  I think there's some truth to the idea spreading in the press that the speech had to be given by someone at some point, because the tensions have been brewing there for decades, allowing people to prey upon them (as he mentioned with the Reagan Coalition and Rush Limbaugh).  And I do think it was important that a black leader who's liked by whites gave it.

So, all that said, it wasn't that I found it unimportant, but rather simply annoyingly timed.  We've got too much shit to deal with that is far more pressing.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 04:51:43 PM EST
give me the signal when you want. It would have been nice to post tonight, as this is still the topic of the day, and it's a good time to post, but no problem. Ideally, It should be posted around 8am EST, ie around noon London time this week.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 04:55:40 PM EST
got your email, am travelling now, will post tonight

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 12:21:18 PM EST

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 04:23:30 PM EST
Almost 400 comments! But after I scrolled through about a third of that, I'm not thrilled at all. So far 99% stupid candidate-worshipping etc. responses which either totally ignore, most naively deny/dismiss or misread the content of the diary. And, quite frequently, believe Jérôme is the author despite him clearly crediting TBG...

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Mar 21st, 2008 at 06:33:18 AM EST
Now that it is in dailykos, my comment:

Propaganda and Obama in the same diary....you are, how can I put it, doing a really nice experiment (?) :)

Even with the introduction and with all the caveats... you know better than me (given your knowledge of narrative, myths, symbols and magic) the possible outcome of the experiment.

A pleasure

I therefore claim to show, not how men think in myths, but how myths operate in men's minds without their being aware of the fact. Levi-Strauss, Claude

by kcurie on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:23:48 PM EST