Flag rows are well visible in US elections. If I had a single look at GOP debates, all I remember flags everywhere.

Obama does look like a legitimate outsider to the Wall-Street - Washington power clans.

Can we compare Gore's and Obama's speech appearances? Did flags help Gore, or they weren't of granular resolution enough?

by das monde on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 02:12:12 AM EST
The flags didn't harm Gore, but they were there to remind that he had already been in the WH. There was no novelty in the association.

The interesting question is why Hillary used the big Patton-effect version of the flag. A woman in front of flags is also a novelty - used to jingoistic effect by Thatcher during the Falklands affair. But by that time Thatcher had already demonstrated she had more balls than her compatriots.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 03:40:17 AM EST
I remember a CNN passage in the heated 2000 ridiculing Gore's and Bush's flag wars... That was fair and balanced, presumably.
by das monde on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 04:25:23 AM EST
Where these uses of symbols become obvious to the audience, they are less effective. The use of subliminal signals such as book shelves lit in such a way that a joint between a shelf and an upright becomes a crucifix, can be more effective.

What is harder to gauge is the effect of media analysis of such use of symbolism.

One thing that is not discussed much, and which creates some confusion in the European mind, is the reversal in the US of the colours red and blue as indicators for socialism and conservatism.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:31:58 AM EST
Seems like a total make-up disaster in the last pic.
by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:34:13 AM EST
That is a compression artefact. You can see the posterization clearly on the podium sign,

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:43:13 AM EST
Seems the pic is saturated : look at the "We the people" panel underneath.

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:44:17 AM EST

DUP decline continues