Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
Display:
Voters will also have the opportunity to approve 90% of national deputies and senators for the next legislature, all formally chosen by parties on March 10th according to criteria that vary from party to party. The remaining 10% will be chosen by the parties from the March 10th "blocked lists" based on party share ranking.

After consulting an Italian dictionary, I changed "ratify" to "approve", but I'm still not sure I understand it. So do Italians have two votes, one for a nominal local candidate (who can in practice be a pluri-candidate?) and a regional or national party list? With 90% of MPs nominally coming from the first vote, but in practice, due to the pluri-candidates, much more?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 06:21:53 AM EST

Others have rated this comment as follows:

Display:

Top Diaries

Occasional Series