Quote:
It should be obvious that the parties who refuse to play footsie with the EU on Kosovo won the majority of the votes.
----
This is true.But as you said before:
Quote:
This is where Western journalists are mistaken: the label of pro-European is not naturally dialectically opposed to the label of Nationalist.
----
or opposite...For example DSS are nationalists but at the same time they claim they are pro-European if EU is willing to take Serbia in it's borders (with Kosovo in it)...Kosovo is a main point in this election and it will make "cat and mouse sleep together".That's why you can see leftists (SPS) , centre (DSS) and right (SRS) talking about coalition. That is incredible...

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Thu May 15th, 2008 at 12:10:36 AM EST
It would be nice to have a diary on the Serb political spectrum...

When the capital development of a country becomes a by-product of the activities of a casino, the job is likely to be ill-done. — John M. Keynes
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu May 15th, 2008 at 02:59:47 AM EST
Not only that I am not an expert (all though I have an interest in politic) but my English language ability is limited. There is nothing that I would like more then to be able to explain to you more about Serbian political situation even as an amateur. I'll try here and there but to make a diary is too ambitious for me...sorry. There are few people here that at least understand the concept of that mess and I thank them for trying to put their views in a form of diary here.

by vbo on Thu May 15th, 2008 at 04:03:38 AM EST
Maybe vladimir could write it and you could comment on it?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu May 15th, 2008 at 05:25:43 PM EST
That's very nice of you to volunteer me Migeru. :-)
I'm (as we all are) quite busy with numerous professional and private activities - which makes this kind of a commitment kind of difficult... I'll see what I can do. -> Upstate NY is another ET member who is very well informed of Balkan politics.
by vladimir on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 02:06:55 AM EST
Yes, but he's Greek(-American).

Take your time, after all there won't be another election in Serbia for a while...

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 05:04:55 AM EST
Greek-American, without the parens.

Trust me, this change is duly insisted upon whenever I'm in Greece or Cyprus.

by Upstate NY on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 10:23:07 AM EST
Hey, I'll be in Athens and Sifnos this August! I can't wait. Long live our Greek brothers.
by vladimir on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 01:50:26 PM EST
Touche.

You're exactly right.

I'm making the same generalization as those I'm criticizing.

Unfortunately I sometimes feel forced to use their labels.

Plus, it seems as though DSS may actually be allying with the Radicals, which would seal that Nationalist label under their name.

Not that they really give a shit.

by Upstate NY on Thu May 15th, 2008 at 09:53:24 AM EST