And what's your comment on this?

The Pain in Spain Falls Mainly on McCain - TIME

Of course, there's a worst-case scenario: that McCain would, if elected, maintain his predecessor's chilly relationship with Spain. Spaniards may, on the whole, revile American politics and American comida de basura (junk food), but they still tend to measure their Prime Minister's international worth by the esteem with which the U.S. President holds him.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 04:37:39 AM EST

That's Aznarite concern trolling - everyone knows Bush is an asshole and influence in the EU Council counts for much more.

As for the rest, see my comments in Thursday's Salon, Friday's Salon and Thursday's Open Thread. I am intensely annoyed by the attention paid to this non-event.

A vivid image of what should exist acts as a surrogate for reality. Pursuit of the image then prevents pursuit of the reality -- John K. Galbraith

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 04:55:55 AM EST
I checked those comments before posting this question for you - yet I must admit I don't quite understand what you are annoyed about andin what sense this is a "non-event" for you. (Also see Marek's reaction to you.)

BTW, "I will stand up to those who want to harm the United States" sounds bellingerent to me.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 05:09:29 AM EST
Belligerent it is, but it was (to me) clearly boilerplate and not directed specifically at ZP.

McCain's intervention reads like "can you drop that Zapatero guy? I'm here to talk about Chávez and Morales".

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 09:15:12 AM EST

Obama should make an ad about "McCain will not talk to Zapatero if elected" based on this footage.

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 05:01:03 AM EST
Thanks, I haven't seen such a longer version yet.

(My thinking BTW is that Juan Carlos's behaviour was even more off than Chávez's: stupidly enacting the image of a Spanish monarch still believing himself to be Emperor of all Spanish-speaking lands.)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 05:15:28 AM EST
Interestingly, the Spanish right wing and its press corps reacted to this incident by saying that the King was statesmanlike and Zapatero was ambushed because he hadn't done his homework, and that Spain's international stature was clearly diminished since Aznar left.

I agree the King was simply off...

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 at 09:17:01 AM EST