I'd gladly discuss Cyrille's opinion, but first I would need to know what the Modem stands for on economic and social issues, apart from promoting François Bayrou... That doesn't mean I disagree.

Having met some of the Strauss-Kahn supporters a few days ago, I would say they still stand to the left of the Modem. It is however difficult to position people within the PS, because their statements and programmes follow internal tactical goals rather than political strategic positioning.

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 at 09:30:35 AM EST

So, what does the PS stand for on economic and social issues apart from promoting the various factional leaders?

A vivid image of what should exist acts as a surrogate for reality. Pursuit of the image then prevents pursuit of the reality -- John K. Galbraith

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 at 09:36:18 AM EST
Touché!

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:16:53 AM EST
That was exactly my point...

by Melanchthon on Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 at 12:41:53 PM EST
My point is that you ask for more substance from Modem's positions than you admit of the PS's positions.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 at 05:43:32 AM EST
You didn't understand what I meant. I am precisely enraged at the lack of substance of the PS position(s).

I blame the PS for devoting all its members' time and energy to internal infighting when they should spend them on political/economical/social/environmental theory, i.e. building viable alternative models and policies. This lack of substance is particularly worrying at a time when, thanks to the evident failure of the dominant model, there is a window of opportunity for alternative models.

by Melanchthon on Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 at 09:49:42 AM EST
Well, I would say it's the party that takes sustainability most seriously. They are dead against a runaway debt (maybe sometime too much so -it does seem the right time for a major infrastructure program in many countries, and France may be one of them), and have the most believable environment program.
They are also the most clearly pro-European party around. Whether you count that as social and economic I don't know, but nowadays I don't have much belief in aiming such policies purely at the country level.
They stand for laicity in a big way, despite the excessive religiosity of their leader. At least he keeps it reasonably private.
They are in favour of a union equal in rights to marriage for homosexuals (not enough in my view. It should be called the same for everone. Call it spirograph if you want, but make it the same for all).
They are, in general, for long term solutions. Sustainability is quite the mantra there.

And they are dead against mixing the roles in the separation of powers as we see daily at the moment.

Now, it may just be tactical on the part of Bayrou (how would I know), but I am pretty sure most militants are sincere in those positions. And it's clearly more of a militants' party than a leaders' party -actually leaders may be an overstatement in its use of plural.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 at 04:59:17 PM EST