gave me a bad touch and all I got was this $80 billion loan.

Yesterday I took the NRA's "basic pistol course" class over at a gun range with some friends. Half the class was on safety, the other half was on technique. 45 caliber handguns are pretty fun to fire. I can now purchase handguns in California, which I will do when I get back from my trip.

Also, turns out my medical insurance covered all of my travel immunizations. That wasn't completely unexpected even after they told me over the phone that they didn't cover such things, but still a nice surprise, and a $600 check I don't need to write.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 05:25:41 PM EST
I like the .44 and .45 calibers for pistols.  With proper technique even the SO, with her small hands, can hit what she's aiming at.

Which pistol were you using?

P.S.  The whole gun thing is something our Euro-counterparts don't 'get.'  Stand-by for some questioning.  :-)

by ATinNM on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 05:57:19 PM EST
We regularily bash the things we don't like about the US, but the US is much better at certain things than we are in Europe, like your much healthier view on handguns.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:12:38 PM EST
Well I for one don't see how it's entirely a healthier view

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:19:01 PM EST
Me neither.  I've fired rifles, and I'm actually a decent shot, or at least I was back when I did it.  But I'm generally uncomfortable with guns and especially handguns.  Don't want anything to do with them.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:23:23 PM EST
I'm speaking as a European who has fired a whole range of weapons, in the past before I get the you're a European and dont know what you're talking about.

I'm generally uncomfortable around people who aren't

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:31:33 PM EST
Could you explain a wee bit here ceebs?

I'm not sure what you're saying.

by ATinNM on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:39:45 PM EST
oh It's the people who are too enthusiastic about handguns that disturb me, people who hunt for food, Target shooters, no problem. In my youth I had several friends who were members of gunclubs, firing anything from target pistols to light machine guns. being a teenger, I used to get an Invite regularly. the target people were ok, but the automatic pistol shooters tended to make my skin crawl. (The most fun were the Black powder cannon people)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:56:30 PM EST
Most members of my family outside the Florida ones are either hunters or ranchers.  All their guns are either for shooting deer or protecting livestock.  Which is fine with me, especially in the latter case.

It's guns that are built to kill people that bother me.  And there's often a very different mentality that goes along with them.  I'm sure that doesn't apply to AT or Starvid, and most are like them, but many are not.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:43:25 PM EST
They're a tool.  And like any tool they can be used for "good" or "bad" depending on the person using them and the situation in which they are used.

For me, the problem is the fantasy that has been made around pistols - John Wayne, Dirty Harry, & all that rot.

by ATinNM on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:36:29 PM EST
They're also very dangerous. As someone who has had problems with serious depression I would absolutely never have a gun at home.

If I had the misfortune of living in the country I could imagine hunting, in the same way I could imagine gardening. But only if I could store the thing someplace well away from home.

by MarekNYC on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:12:58 PM EST
I can't remember what make/model it was. We were primarily using 22 cal pistols for their cheap ammo and complete lack of kick. I'll get a 9mm of some sort when I do buy one.

I mostly want it for societal breakdown scenarios and for fun at the range.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:09:18 PM EST