We regularily bash the things we don't like about the US, but the US is much better at certain things than we are in Europe, like your much healthier view on handguns.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:12:38 PM EST
Well I for one don't see how it's entirely a healthier view

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:19:01 PM EST
Me neither.  I've fired rifles, and I'm actually a decent shot, or at least I was back when I did it.  But I'm generally uncomfortable with guns and especially handguns.  Don't want anything to do with them.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:23:23 PM EST
I'm speaking as a European who has fired a whole range of weapons, in the past before I get the you're a European and dont know what you're talking about.

I'm generally uncomfortable around people who aren't

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:31:33 PM EST
Could you explain a wee bit here ceebs?

I'm not sure what you're saying.

by ATinNM on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:39:45 PM EST
oh It's the people who are too enthusiastic about handguns that disturb me, people who hunt for food, Target shooters, no problem. In my youth I had several friends who were members of gunclubs, firing anything from target pistols to light machine guns. being a teenger, I used to get an Invite regularly. the target people were ok, but the automatic pistol shooters tended to make my skin crawl. (The most fun were the Black powder cannon people)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:56:30 PM EST
Most members of my family outside the Florida ones are either hunters or ranchers.  All their guns are either for shooting deer or protecting livestock.  Which is fine with me, especially in the latter case.

It's guns that are built to kill people that bother me.  And there's often a very different mentality that goes along with them.  I'm sure that doesn't apply to AT or Starvid, and most are like them, but many are not.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:43:25 PM EST
They're a tool.  And like any tool they can be used for "good" or "bad" depending on the person using them and the situation in which they are used.

For me, the problem is the fantasy that has been made around pistols - John Wayne, Dirty Harry, & all that rot.

by ATinNM on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:36:29 PM EST
They're also very dangerous. As someone who has had problems with serious depression I would absolutely never have a gun at home.

If I had the misfortune of living in the country I could imagine hunting, in the same way I could imagine gardening. But only if I could store the thing someplace well away from home.

by MarekNYC on Sun Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:12:58 PM EST