... means that it might be easier to get Dualis Tram-Trains localized as mono-directional tram-trains with the third module a high floor unit for Australia style rail corridor platform heights.

There's not the snowballs chance in hell of getting lower adjunct platforms in New South Wales rail corridors, as the rail authorities and state government is on a corridor trespass kick, and low platforms encourage corridor trespass.

But hell, I figure high floor rolling stock is easier anyway. They could even shift the diesel-hybrid from the cabin roof to under the floor of the rear trailer.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Jan 18th, 2009 at 06:17:54 PM EST
What is the platform height there?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun Jan 18th, 2009 at 08:00:54 PM EST

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Jan 18th, 2009 at 09:00:31 PM EST
In fact, most often around 1.2m.

The details would, of course, be left to the bidder, inside a design envelope of one wide station-platform entry/exit on both sides of the vehicle, two left side only low floor entry/exit in the front and middle of the tram, and disabled access throughout.

The station entry/exit could in fact be at the tail of the vehicle with an internal ramp to a mid-floor trailer, to make the transition to the low floor front modules easier.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Mon Jan 19th, 2009 at 12:24:36 PM EST
I couldn't find any mixed low-floor/high-floor trams that have doors at both levels (though there may be some). However, I note as examples:

• take a look at the TW 6000 type of the Hannover Stadtbahn: floor height is 943mm, below the doors, there is a mechanism that either allows level exit to a high platform, or turns into steps for a low platform (compare photos here near the bottom of the page)

• Check Cologne's Bombardier Flexity Swift trams. There are both high-floor (900 mm, K5000) and low-floor (350 mm, K4000 and K4500) versions of the same modular type. I think it should not be too difficult to put together a mixed version (apart from the connection between underfloor and roof-mounted electric equipment).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Mon Jan 19th, 2009 at 05:34:28 PM EST
Yes, that first would be ideal for the trailer module, then there would be street access in all three modules and station level access in the back.

Loops at all ends are no problem, so if the design is modular, there's only a need to customize the trailing module for platform access, avoiding the need to monkey around with a standard cab module.

For instance, the common Church Street end of the tram/train routes is intended to be a one way terminal loop in any event, as the most effective route ...

Among the five routes ... one CBD route in stage 1, two urban routes in Stage 2, two regional routes in stage 3, there are two pure balloon loops, but one is ducking underneath a rail bridge and the other is in the dead space inside a rail triangle. The rest are routed as one-way loops.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Mon Jan 19th, 2009 at 07:08:02 PM EST

Impeachment gets real