The following may make more diaries on the limits of scientific materialism redundant:

Gaianne's diary got me interested when I had not yet joined ET. She debates the limits of science (mathematics).

This morning I found this diary by Chris Cook on "metaphysics and science" which he wrote after

this diary by Jerome "Hostility to the notion of limits to growth" (Deepak Chopra/Emil Möller.)

The possibility, i.e. reality in my view, that there could be/is more to reality than our passing physical/material existence on Planet Earth has been considered and elaborated upon in all three threads.

(There was also quite some unease wrt ratings in Chris' and Jerome's diary 1.5 years ago, hm.)

by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sat May 30th, 2009 at 10:24:05 AM EST
Bloody hell, Lily, you're opening up a can of worms there!

My Boxing Day thread wasn't a pie fight, it was a nuclear exchange....

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Sat May 30th, 2009 at 12:24:36 PM EST
Can of worms? Well, it's a topic I had wanted to write about, maybe from a different angle. This also gives me an opportunity to tell you that your diary was "excellent".

The diary writer bears little responsibility for the debate and how it's evolving unless he/she decides to engage in it a lot. If it goes into many directions and there is controversy, it is all the more interesting. We can always learn from conflict.

by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sat May 30th, 2009 at 01:26:36 PM EST
Lily:
This also gives me an opportunity to tell you that your diary was "excellent".

that makes me think why, when diaries can take so much more time and effort, do we have a simple binary, recc or not, to ascribe mojo/value to them?

why is there so much bigger a choice for any simple throwaway/filler comment?

hmm

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon Jun 1st, 2009 at 07:30:32 AM EST
Long-time members here remember these debates and will understandingly roll their eyes if I decide to bring up topics you have already chewed over extensively.

It is such a pity that there is no way other than with the help of good luck or a hint to avoid unnecessary repetitions.

by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sat May 30th, 2009 at 01:31:40 PM EST

Impeachment gets real