Is it a system that better classifies topics

Classification is a system for grouping things. People invent classification systems all the time and for the most mundate purposes. Some systems are more coherent --comprehensible to other people-- than other systems.

All things evince to people attributes such as title (name), creation date, dimension (l, w, d) --that parenthetical statement is a group of attributes known as an array--, author, weight, species, leaf, genus, file size, file type, BMI, color (R,G,B), category (politics, fiction, gardening), gestation period, topic (EU election, Il Duce, PES, 18 October Fundraiser) etc. etc. etc.

There is no natural limit to the number of attributes one associates with a thing (possibilities). There is a limit on the number of attributes one needs to sort things into different groups. That limit is a set of rules, or system, to identify all attributes of the things to be sorted.

Category (or "topic" or "section") and creation date (required to perform "chronological order") are the least informative attributes by which to sort things. To be informative at all, category type must be limited to one attribute.

Click to enlarge. GOOG like every other search engine interface displays a list of operations to  exclude certain attributes shared by things, so reducing the total number of things located that match more accurately the user's peculiar "interest".

You are unaware of this software functionality?

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 01:20:21 PM EST
You are unaware of this software functionality?

This snark is necessary because?

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 01:55:46 PM EST
My question is not sarcastic. It is a prompt. To the contrary, the few comments I've made addressed to Lily encourage (ok, challenge) her to experiment with software tools available, explore features and functionality of other websites to compare to ET, and report her findings of "user-friendly" interface.

A goodly portion of knowing is doing.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 03:32:16 PM EST
You are unaware of this software functionality?

Thank you, MarketTrustee. I see that you know what you are talking about and follow your reasoning. It's just that these practical applications don't belong to the realm of my interests. I'm on the lazy user side.

You will eventually sort out among the site's editors how or if this place would benefit from change and whether it would be worth the effort.

by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 02:03:41 PM EST
So I gather.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 03:33:23 PM EST
What would you mean by
I gather.
?

I like that you value the evolutionary importance of diversity.

by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 03:54:46 PM EST
To gather (v.) American colloquial expression, is to affirm a truth from foregoing statements; to collect disperate strands to an agreeable result; as to gather wool is to daydream, to speculate.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 04:32:40 PM EST
It could have meant, "So, I gather my charts and walk off - if you still resist the exploration of software functionalities!"
by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 05:10:54 PM EST
It could have meant that if you agree with "words mean what I want them to mean at the time I say them, nothing more and nothing less" position from Alice in Wonderland.

Otherwise, "So I gather", with no direct object, is a stock phrase that only means one thing.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 05:29:08 PM EST
Thanks. I should actually return to English "Wonderland" since the linguistic feeling is fading.
by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Sun May 31st, 2009 at 05:39:01 PM EST

Impeachment gets real