Thankfully you don't live in Sweden and have to suffer through the infantile excuse of a public debate we have here. I guess the reason they don't talk about abusive advertising here is that, well, I don't think I've ever seen a water ad in this country. But as they can never think a single independent thought they've just copied this meme from "edgy" useless leftists abroad and mindlessly applied the ideological stance without any consideration to the local conditions.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Wed Aug 5th, 2009 at 04:31:59 PM EST
Starvid:
I don't think I've ever seen a water ad in this country

That might explain your position. What the people in this diary are pointing at is advertising portraying bottled water as "natural" and superior to tap water, when it is not necessarily, and when in some cases it simply is tap water in a bottle.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Aug 5th, 2009 at 05:07:37 PM EST
I don't begrudge Starvid bottled water.  Having endured the very-weird-tasting water in the UK, I can appreciate someone wanting bottled water, although personally I prefer the Brits' tactic of replacing water with beer.

The whole discussion doesn't strike me as coming from the right angle.

What I don't get about bottled water is how, knowing that tap water is better for you than bottled water (at least according to every study I've ever seen), why would you fork over the equivalent of $10/gallon for the privilege of drinking an inferior resource in a disposable bottle?  You could buy a Brita or Pur filter and a reusable bottle for the cost of the daily intake buying them.

Paying $3/gallon for the magic goop that gets you places in ten minutes that a hundred years ago would've required a month of planning is an outrage, apparently, protested by people choking on their $6 lattes from Starbucks or their $1.50 bottles of water.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:32:00 AM EST
Drew J Jones:
The whole discussion doesn't strike me as coming from the right angle.

So, er... What angle are you coming at it from?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:38:15 AM EST
The angle I would come at it from is that it's crappy water that costs way too much.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:42:31 AM EST
Well I'd agree with that.

The more precise angle the Tappening people up there are attacking from is that this mostly mediocre product is sold at a high price thanks to mendacious advertising that uses images of natural purity and greenness.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:47:14 AM EST
would a country like Sweden ever need water ads, honestly...
by Nomad on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 03:00:31 AM EST
Denmark has plenty of bottled water ads.

Me, I drink bottled water too: I take a cola bottle and put tap water in it. That's good for something like three or four uses until it becomes too iffy for my liking.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Fri Aug 7th, 2009 at 02:09:03 AM EST
You have not seen the ads? So you do not get some imagery if I say "hälsokällan från Bergslagen"...

You must not watch television then. Or you just watch public service to get your blood pressure up.

by A swedish kind of death on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 04:18:42 AM EST
Oh, I don't watch television at all. I might if I got Axess TV on my set, but I haven't got that one. I have my unplugged 12 inch screen TV (not even one of those new flat ones) standing forlorn in a corner. The only reason I still have a TV is to get a chance to avoid paying the TV licence.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 09:45:56 AM EST