It sure is. So why should they try to change my lifestyle for no good reason, without changing their own, the hypocrites?

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Wed Aug 5th, 2009 at 04:33:35 PM EST
A case for changing lifestyle choices can be made on the societal/enviromental impact of said individual choices.

Unless the externalities are properly priced.

The peak-to-trough part of the business cycle is an outlier. Carnot would have died laughing.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 04:17:34 AM EST
Yes, and I certainly didn't say the opposite above. But these people cannot even pronounce "externality". They don't care, they don't want to care, they just want to posture so they can feel smug and that they are the good guys with the "right" ideas.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 09:41:39 AM EST
You wouldn't be doing any posturing yourself, of course.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 09:44:54 AM EST
Provoking people (including myself) into challenging their unreflected upon beliefs by pressing discussion points further than you really believe in them is a useful exercise, but works much better offline. I feel you can't really manage that unless you do it verbally.

Your implication that I'm marketing an ET iconoclast brand is, well, let's just say I disagree with that. I rather think it's the natural result from being the most rightwing person on a solidly leftwing site. I just really deeply disagree with the people who hawk these kind of politics, both because their ideas are wrong and because they are so ineffectual that you might actually believe they were a diversionary tactic used by, say, wineries and breweries. (No, I'm not saying they are, but that would make them seem more serious, like the theory that the "peace" movement was supported by the Soviets.)

Ironically, I do the same thing at other discussion sites I frequent, except as they are more to the right I'm the guy on the left muttering about wage equality and the states role in the economy...

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.

by Starvid on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 09:54:41 AM EST
Starvid:
Your implication that I'm marketing an ET iconoclast brand

Not really what I meant. I just thought you were laying it on a bit thick about "these people" and the motives you ascribe to them.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:43:30 AM EST

I have been known to do that, on occasion. ;)

They really do get my blood boiling, and in real life this often leads to a 45-120 minute non-stop rant until I tun out of steam, to the mild amusement of my friends, as in "here we go again". I'm sure you know the feeling.

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.

by Starvid on Thu Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:56:14 AM EST

Ulster says NO!

by Frank Schnittger - Oct 17
39 comments

Trump's Presidency Transfixed

by ARGeezer - Oct 17
9 comments

Spain is not a democracy

by IdiotSavant - Oct 14