Which part of "it's a feature, not a bug" did you find it hard to understand?

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 12:08:26 AM EST
I am simply not into IT metaphors :) Kindly speak plain english to this heathen.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last! (Martin Luther King)
by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot frança) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 12:20:17 AM EST
The inability to identify The Truth is not an accident in Bayesian epistemology. It is a deliberate design element.

It's an advantage, not a handicap.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 09:10:29 AM EST
Okay. I know that. It's neither an advantage, nor a handicap. Bayesian analysis is just that. I still find your admiration of it quite abstract and of hte narcisistic kind, (ie pointless), if you will, hence my reaction.

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot frança) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 09:54:03 AM EST
ValentinD:
I still find your admiration of it quite abstract and of hte narcisistic kind
Just out of curiosity, what does Bayesian mean, in your own words?

Of all the ways of organizing banking, the worst is the one we have today — Mervyn King, 25 October 2010
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 09:57:44 AM EST
"what does Bayesian mean, in your own words"

It's JakeS' word!

by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:29:18 AM EST
And also a very important topic in probabilities.
I'll try to answer that question in a way that will hopefully bring some added value wr to what anyone could find on the internet.

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot frança) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:38:11 AM EST
Bayesian refers to a specific, precise, operational technique for consistently updating quantifiable assumptions in light of new empirical evidence. The fact that you dubbed it as "abstract" and "pointless" is prima facie evidence that you don't understand its essentially operational quality.

It sould be obvious why it would be possible to devise an entire epistemology around the concept of making explicit one's knowledge (in particular, and most controversially, the assumptions implicit in a situation where there is "no prior data") and how "new data" actualizes the knowledge/assumptions.

I agree that JakeS's use of the phrase Bayesian Epistemology in this thread may be a bit of a rhetorical flourish, but your "abstract, narcissistic and pointless" jab just demonstrates ignorance.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:09:51 AM EST
Your comment is inspiring but I avoid negative ratings.
by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 01:13:12 PM EST
and in what way demonstrates ignorance, pray you enlighten this poor soul

if you wanted to know what I meant, a simple question would have sufficed. that was no jab, just the observation that his appreciation of 'elegance' re Bayes' theory reminds of those mathematicians in love with their equations - or of those other writers infatuated with their own twists of phrase. more still,  my slightly abrupt tone in my other post is explained (re politicians).

finally, I believe Jake is perfectly capable to answer on his own, what do you think

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot frança) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 02:48:29 PM EST
oh and Migeru, you answering your own question re Bayes, what does that show, in your opinion ? :)

by ValentinD (walentijn arobase free spot frança) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 02:52:39 PM EST

I actually dislike that name, for much the same reason that I suspect you do. But that's what it's called, and I can't think of a better name for it on the fly.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 08:10:11 PM EST
Lily:
It's JakeS' word!
No, unfortunately it isn't.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:58:24 AM EST
Is it Bayesian's then? Lucky him!
by Lily (put - lilyalmond - here <a> yahaah.france) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 01:15:06 PM EST