santiago:
But I think we also have to ask whether although there are plenty of bad things about the American Empire, does that really add up to a reason to seek its undoing without first building the foundations for a better way of organizing the world?

I do not see that we have the power to undo the American Empire or organise an alternative. So I do not see the relevance.

by A swedish kind of death on Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 03:54:46 AM EST
You certainly have the power to organize an alternative for when the American Empire collapses. You just have to have a clear eyed view of which parts need replacing.

Establish shadow periodic (eg, quarterly at first, eventually fortnightly) exchanges where developing nations can offer finished goods at set local currency prices and EU producers can offer finished goods at set Euro prices, which EU buyers bidding for quantities and EU prices of the developing nation finished goods, and developing nation buyers bidding for quantities and local currency prices for the EU finished goods, and set shadow exchange rates that clear the bids.

I've already discussed sea lane coverage versus invasion forces ... as far as keeping a sea lane open through the South Atlantic and then the southern Indian Ocean to East Africa, Southeast Asia and Australia, that seems doable with the resources that the EU nations throw away on junior partner invasion forces and defending West Germany from invasion from East Germany.

Making an international market by a capital goods producer and keeping sea lanes open to trade ... are there any another useful side effects of American Empire that is not offset by losing the drawbacks of American Empire?

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 05:45:14 PM EST
I used we as we here at ET.

This is, what you call it - hobby horse? pet peewee? - for me, but I think that when we start reason in terms of what should be done if we happened to hold the reins of global power, we should tread carefully. On one hand it is useful to show that there is indeed alternatives, on the other strategies for action need to be rooted in the actual limited power we as individuals and collective has. I have the suspicion that the tendency to often place ourselves in the position of powerful undermines actual activism.

Taking responsibility for what replaces the American Empire strikes me as taking it a step to far, after all when the American Empire falls (as all empires has) it is rather unlikely to do so because mainly because of a blogpost. Opposing the empire serves on the other hand the concrete need of undermining the support for the next foreign adventure.

by A swedish kind of death on Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 07:07:25 PM EST
... but if ET can think about the under-TINA-unthinkable question of "after American Empire collapses, what then?", it will not be caught in moment of panic when things shift under people's feet ... the moment that the corporations can be expected to make a power grab under catastrophe capitalism.

And, yes, I was answering the plural as you Europeans in general, not European civil society in general let alone ET in particular ... but what Europe can do for good rather than for ill is the first step, after all, and then what European civil society can do to make that more likely, and then how ET can contribute to that.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 08:28:55 PM EST
Yes, I am not opposed to investigate the question, just the framing. Could have been clearer on that though.

by A swedish kind of death on Wed Nov 24th, 2010 at 03:23:23 PM EST
... working out the framing before we know what we want to accomplish has a very strong bias toward assuming a status quo that may in fact be unsustainable and therefore offers no foundation upon which to build solutions.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Thu Nov 25th, 2010 at 01:24:03 PM EST

Democracy on trial