There's a similar strange tradition in Germany before Silvester (NYE), where the entire country watches James the butler serve Miss Sophie and her non-existant guests, as James must consume copious amounts of sherry. "Same procedure as every year, Miss Sophie."

the same english show is watched on the 23rd in Norway. Now you can watch it yourself, and i dare you not to split your sides.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anas Nin

by Crazy Horse on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 06:09:54 AM EST
Freddie Frinton: the link between homo vaudevillius and homo milliganii

(I regularly got 2/10 for Latin, so don't hit me)

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 06:13:21 AM EST
It's broadcasted every New Years Eve in Sweden as well. :)

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 06:17:14 AM EST
Although for Scandinavians, some germans produced a Lego version which you can find on your tube.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anas Nin
by Crazy Horse on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 06:40:38 AM EST
My first NY in Germany I was looked at with utter consternation when I said I'd never seen this before. Everyone seemed to think this is what the whole world watched on NYE.

The fact is that what we're experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. -Paul Krugman
by dvx (dvx.clt t gmail dotcom) on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 06:50:50 AM EST
same here.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anas Nin
by Crazy Horse on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 07:04:14 AM EST
Yea, yet it's almost unheard of here in the UK. We only know of it now cos the germans mention it so reverently. I'm sure I watched it once and was completely mystified all the way through.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 08:54:26 AM EST
This must be very old, I have been watching it since we had first a television and that must have been in the 60's and still very funny.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 24th, 2010 at 09:00:13 AM EST

Ulster says NO!

by Frank Schnittger - Oct 17
43 comments

Trump's Presidency Transfixed

by ARGeezer - Oct 17
12 comments

Spain is not a democracy

by IdiotSavant - Oct 14