Whatever you would want to do on a desktop - word processingTeXing, spreadsheetsR (anyway, does the iPad do Open Office?). How about lightweight development for the iPad on the iPad? Does the iPad run the iPad SDK?

Point being, I don't have a desktop, I have a MacBook which I use as a desktop replacement even thought it is not designed as one.

En un viejo país ineficiente, algo así como España entre dos guerras civiles, poseer una casa y poca hacienda y memoria ninguna. -- Gil de Biedma

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 11:37:15 AM EST
I guess what I really want is something like this:

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 11:53:02 AM EST
Having used 'em, flat, touch sensitive, keyboards are a PITA.

by ATinNM on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 02:46:45 PM EST
Yep. Tactile feedback is an absolute requirement.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 03:09:30 PM EST
Then the iPad with a virtual on-screen keyboard is out. We're back to a USB/wireless keyboard requirement for the iPad.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 04:15:33 PM EST
Well I'll qualify that - I'm fine with it for low speed input (texting, in particular), but for full speed typing I have to have that feedback.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 04:19:32 PM EST
What, you don't type at full speed when IM'ing?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 04:59:54 PM EST
I do if I have a full keyboard. I was born too late to acquire similar "thumbing" skills for cell phones though. I'm old enough now to make bitter "when I was your age..." comments to the kiddies.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 at 05:09:37 PM EST