I wasn't gone on the design until I saw the video in action. Looks as if it might be quite nice now. Nothing all that compelling to drive an early upgrade for a 3GS user though, unless nose-hair chat is something that's important to you. I swear, when they invent anti-gravity, it'll be so that we can float our gadgets in appropriate places for movie watching and video calls ...
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:44:47 PM EST
Well, it does have a gyroscope.

But I'd guess this doesn't mean you can perch it on a pencil and it won't fall off.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 07:16:44 PM EST
The gyroscope struck me as an odd add-on, but I suspect it could be quite useful for gaming.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 04:30:40 AM EST
The 'gyroscope' + accelerometer gives you 6 axis info that will be useful for gaming. But it could also enable other interesting creative tools. For instance the combining of video with orientation information would allow a reconstruction of camera motion in space in a 3D modelling environment.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 06:22:31 AM EST
I think it was a 'Hey, it's cheap, let's put it in' decision.
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 07:37:25 AM EST
That's what they said about ringtones ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 08:02:33 AM EST
As a direct challenge to Nintendo and their fancy Wii controller add-on that I suddenly forget the name of. I reached the point where the idea of a DS as a casual gaming machine became silly some time ago - the iPhone is always there and adequate for the job. New input stuff will help with that and, as Sven says, open up other possibilities.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 08:26:32 AM EST