1. Helen Thomas, on her own time, NOT in a professional capacity, speaks here mind, accurate or not.

2. This old lady loses her livelihood, associates, etc. because she speaks her mind.

3. Conclusion: Let this be a lesson to everyone.  Speak your mind against the beloved Jews and they will CRUSH YOU, regardless of who you are.  They have control of the US govt., therefore the US military, and they will do WHATEVER THEY WANT.  Today Helen, tomorrow ... who?

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 03:29:45 PM EST
For every one's peace of mind, could you please avoid references to Jews in a discussion about the I/P situation unless the reference is relevant and specific.

Reason being that you (and us) can get derailed by accusations about anti-semitism.

When I used it it was in reference to what Helen thomas said.

As for her losing her livelihood, not quite. She's well provided for, but having said what she said, anything she says on any subject is gonna get attacked. Now the extent to which your political media and process is entirely subjugated to the needs of a small country a long way away is something worth discussing in a different way. But never mention jewishness when doing so, it ain't worth the hassle.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 03:42:08 PM EST
I'm not a historian nor social scientist.  I always thought human history was boring.  All those dates to memorize, and wars, etc.  To me the word "Jew" is a more inclusive and accurate term than "Israeli" as this morning's Washington Journal demonstrated ... American Jews sounding very Israeli.  And this whole anti-semitic bullshit.  What does "anti-semitic" supposed to mean, either by direct definition or with associated connotations?  What is the big deal?  To tell you the truth, with this whole British Petroleum fiasco, I'm not too high on the Brits right now.  And I wasn't gung-ho on the Russians during the '60's cold war. So?

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:00:37 PM EST
c'mon, don't be deliberately dense. If you criticize Israel, you are talking about the policies of the government of Israel. The fact that they happen to be jewish is neither here nor there in that discussion, no more than the fact that most of the government of the USA is Christian is relevant to any discussion of their policies (whatever anyone thinks). It's about how people in power treat people who are not powerful.

the moment you start talking about jews with regard to the I/P situation you are into a whole world of grief of what it says about you and the baggage of attitudes you bring to the discussion. and people can use it against you, so if you want a serious discussion about Israel, refer to Israelis.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:15:45 PM EST
My association with the term "Jew".

1. I come from a non-religious family.

2. My best friend in high school was Dave W; his family was Jewish (like being Italian; I'm 1/2 Italian; So?).

3. I went to Union College in upstate NY in the early '70s.  A lot of the students were from Jewish families in the NYC area.  So?  They're still just human beings like me, from more affluent families possibly (doesn't take much considering the poverty I came from), but who gives a rat's ass.

So what does "But if you just want to mess about and pretend to be gratuitously anti-semitic, then do it elsewhere. Please" mean?  I'm lost on that one.

Here, let's try this.  Can you give me a word in another context which would cause a similar problem?

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:34:57 PM EST
I too was raised in a non-religious environment, what's that got to do with the price of tofu ?

It ain't what you think, it's got everything to do with how your argument is perceived by others based on the words you choose to express it with. And in a discussion about how the Israeli government behaves, it just ain't worth mentioning their religion because there's far too much negative history involved. And that gives others an excuse to not hear you when you speak about it. Gives them an excuse to start a ruckus about something you didn't even mean.

To the extent that if anyone mentions the religion in relation to the I/P situation, I immediately assume that either they're anti-semitic and have a bug about it or they don't have anything serious to say so stop reading; I don't actually which is true cos I'm not gonna engage.

I really can't believe you have lived in the US and missed all of the implications here.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:02:40 PM EST
OK, implications, let's see.

I'm reading Lehninger's Biochemistry 5th Ed.; I was thinking the other day, "my bible", next to my bed.  Can you believe this?  Nowhere in this important text have I come across the term Israeli or Jew?  Go figure.

If I actually get my truffles project going here in order to help right the CA ship (I've got a prospective "operative" for the actual hands-on;one of my former student's who's currently doing Master's work at Davis) and I'm zeroing in on getting into the Jerry Brown for Gov. camp.  And get this.  ANYONE who can help me with my project is welcome ... I don't care about your color, whatever.  Problem solving is problem solving.  If it gets people jobs, if it puts food on the table, that's what counts.

That's who/what I am, and I ain't changin'.  I guess I haven't been paying attention to all the useless bullshit most people do.  I"M BUSY!

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:39:31 PM EST
I've been a fan of Thomas for a long time, but:

(1) How you behave, even on your own time, can impact others;

(2) Helen Thomas is almost 90 years old and probably wealthier than a good number of us here combined (I don't think her reporting is really a necessary component to her livelihood anymore); and

(3) Really?  The JewsTM?  I don't know why you insist on saying these offensive things, whether it's some need for attention or just you being genuinely flaky as fucking hell, but in either case, lose it.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:39:07 PM EST

Winning Diplomacy