There'd be more comments if shergald posted better stuff less often.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 03:38:52 PM EST
Exactly

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 03:44:29 PM EST
Really.  Guess I haven't been paying close enough attention and I don't know enough "facts" to begin with.  I will say this.  Like many people I learned about the "Jewish situation" back in the late '60s in high school social studies class and I felt so outraged about what happened to the Jews in Europe during WWII. This A.M. on Washington Journal (CSPAN) the first topic was the Helen Thomas situation.  I'd say 80% of the callers sided with Helen, and the last caller said that the Israelis learned from their Nazi torturers and have turned Gaza into a ghetto.  I no longer feel sympathetic towards the Jews/Israelies ... I could be their next victim.  I'm not foolish enough to believe that it will always be "someone else's problem".

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 03:48:06 PM EST
I don't think you understood my comment at all.

Do you take us all for dickheads in this place or what?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:06:51 PM EST
No, actually, just the opposite.  It's one of the reasons that I visit ET regularly and the only place I post comments regularly.  First - HuffPo , Second - SACBEE (my local), and then here.  So ... dickheads?  Never came to mind.  Intelligent ... absolutely.  Left leaning socially ... usually.  That's why I feel at home here.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:21:52 PM EST
OK. So I said that shergald's diaries would get more comments if those diaries were better - ie contained more thought and less cut and paste - and posted less often (not once a day).
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:39:27 PM EST
... contained more thought and less cut and paste ...

EXCELLENT!  Why do I say that?

1. I'm gung-ho on education.  This whole conversation will hopefully make shergald a better diary writer.

2. If his "cut and paste" material is accurate and relevant (assumed) and would not usually make it to ET, saying that it required "more thought" ...?  Hell, I don't mind raw info as long as it's accurate.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:47:24 PM EST
Everyone cuts and pastes, they often just paraphrase, rewrite the writings of others as if it is their own, and then add an opinion. There is very little originality, simply because most things of importance have already been said. Personally I don't care as long as there are references and links.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:56:24 PM EST
Howdy sher.  Quite honestly, I'm in the middle.  The whole I/P thing looks like a land grab to me ... straight thievery.  We have so many REAL problems on this planet, species endangering problems, and this whole I/P situation takes up so much time, energy, resources, ...  what stupid nonsense.

Keep 'em comin' kid. (I know you will.)

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:27:05 PM EST

I think you need to start providing some examples here, to back up that accusation.

But maybe I'm just repressing you with these unrelenting and incessant calls for evidence...

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 07:59:31 PM EST
You're harrassing Shergald, Jake, and I find it's unbecoming your usual  equanimity and the editorial board's aspirations to international policy consultancy.

Salon is a C&P venue --presumably this is the reason why you and others instructed Shergald to post in future to fit that format. Take " Israel and Turkey: no love lost" or "Spain Crisis Report" or "It's not just about the ships." Review ARG's last five posts. Retrieve Mr Cook's LQDs, fairleft's scrapbooks, an InWale's TUC briefs... Explain why readers rarely comment on borderjumpers' regular dispatches --surely this series is "original." Tell us, what data analysis did this poster add to "Ups And Downs: OECD trade figures"...

If I/P controversy disturbs group hygiene, admit to an executive decision to limit ET community exposure to confrontational exchanges between subscribers. Say, one per quarter. Have Colman post another proclamation.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 09:06:37 PM EST
I agree, policing 300 visitors to the site (according to Estimurl) is too much.
by FarEasterner on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 09:17:46 PM EST
The other people mentioned bring their own thinking and/or personality to the site on top of whatever repost diaries they submit. Shergald uses this site exclusively to repost material available elsewhere.

Jake should have backed off at some point - but Shergald really flamed out.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 11:07:28 PM EST
Flame out?

<squint>

Is ET a beauty pageant of "repost material" ? I would say so, to judge by the criteria you're suggesting. And if that analogy is indeed apt, Shergald will always lose. Shergald will always lose because every I/P news file --this "repost material"-- is an ugly, ugly reminder of an intellectual history and moral depravity abiding in the politicians, the leadership, about whom we gossip daily and money fetishes. Every "diary" entry is a testament to our impotent regard for policy decisions in which we do not participate.

Do you know, are you certain, Shergald uses ET exclusively to publish I/P "repost material"? Or do you mean to say, Shergald publishes only I/P "repost material" at ET and that reliable, that vaguely ritualistic devotion to the topic, is offensive in itself ... because you could retrieve the same news from GOOG's mighty syndicated feeds, if you wanted to, if you were in the mood.

When was the last time you wanted to examine current I/P events? And where did you search... Perhaps you launched the GOOG, Yahoo!, yer CNN RSS. God forbid, you punched a keyword into one of two ET engines -- would that word have been Israel, Palestine, or Shergald?

Come closer, Millman, and I will tell you a secret. DrMarketTrustee would tell me bitterly, "We live in a superficial world." He said that because he knew I would deny it. I appreciate the work Shergald contributes to ET. I appreciated Shergald's labors at the GOS, too. For I know, the ugly life is no easy life to lead, Millman. It is simply necessary. It is a prerequisite of beauty some of us long for. I will not deny Shergald.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 01:01:59 AM EST
Flame out - something like 50 comments of refusing to accept any level of criticism - and returning fire with a pathetic salvo of ad hominems against people who put serious effort into this site.

All over the fact that his or her "beauty pageant" material makes more sense filed in the salon instead of as a diary - where all the other news material goes.

If only we all followed a Christ-like path, evil would disappear tomorrow, amirite?

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 02:52:16 AM EST
Oh, I don't know anything about Christ-like paths, but last autumn I did spend a few weeks canvassing DC for donations to Amnesty International. That wasn't easy work. Politely arresting the attention of people in a hurry is not effortless despite the inspirational portraits and messages on the walls at headquarters. I memorized a script and was on my feet for 8 hours. Each evening a crew leader debriefed me and analyzed my productivity ($/stop, stops/flag, flags/hour) on a laptop display. 2 out of 3 pedestrians that passed us by was either talking on a phone or listening to an MP3 player. I collected background on the issues from the web, printed it to share with co-workers. Some people who stop actually start a conversation. They want more than script. Two consecutive days short of quota triggered dismissal. The script begins with a smile, "Hi! Do you have a minute for Amnesty International?" The woman who barrelled past snarling, "You're an ass," was memorable. But so was the one who walked to the end of the block, then turned around. I messed up: We chatted more than ten minutes; I was supposed to close in six.

I pay attention to how readers "use" the interface or don't.  I was paying attention to the "level of criticism" that began in Shergald's last post before turning up in OT. And I first reactions were: the site architecture isn't deep enough to warrant this pretension to editorial integrity; and the frequency of these C&C tests are becoming routine...

to what end?

RLY

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 06:27:06 AM EST
What are C & C tests, please?

(All I can find is that C & C means a video game called Command & Conquer).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 09:04:17 AM EST
Command and Control?
A management style, directly inspired by the military...
by Bernard on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 01:52:32 PM EST

That's true at the moment - but if the diary section were to become spammed by all kinds of LQD stuff that should be in the salon instead, the site will become far harder to navigate.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 01:03:14 PM EST
some day, you may be correct. until then, Viva Lily.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Wed Jun 9th, 2010 at 09:26:22 PM EST
thanks, cat, it's nice to hear a just defence.

i too have appreciated shergald's contributions, and on the extremely rare occasions when he has commented on other threads, both here and at booman, i have been impressed by what s/he has to say.

it's a great pity that this flame war took place, i would be sorry to lose his/her work here at ET.

borderjumpers post lotsa diaries that don't excite a lot of interest, but are similarly important. neither do they post on other threads, but they are single-issue posters too.

it's not a problem really, but if shergald simply used the salon for what it's for, this whole mess could have been avoided.

now s/he understands ET better, perhaps we won't see this wasteful bloodletting again.

i/p is depressing, and that's why i too am grateful that someone reminds us of it, just in case anyone has had any new bright ideas.

because it's the cause of so much pain and terror in the world today...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 04:29:17 AM EST
You're welcome, melo. Times are hard. Tension is high. Good humor snaps.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 06:30:17 AM EST
The IP conflict is an ongoing historical event, with developments happening every week, sometimes every day. It is all about news and sometimes analysis of what is 'really' happening and being said. No comments are necessary, unless someone has something to add about these events or analyses.

I'm frankly not sure what the difference would be if Avnery, a journalist and observer of the IP conflict for over 40 years, posted his own piece or someone else did so for him. But that is precisely the point. It apparently changes the substance even though the words are the same. And that was just the problem this morning.

Finally, I don't believe there are really very many people on this site who qualify as great writers or analysts or experts, or who have the credentials to criticize the work of others. And IMO it is those few who are not likely to engage in it.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 04:52:17 PM EST
Should you actually believe the last two sentences you wrote, one might then even assume you are completely unaware of the hole you're digging for yourself.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:02:26 PM EST

Now, first of all, that wasn't actually Avnery's piece. The most frequently used byline I found when I Googled it was one M.J. Rosenberg. Just for the record, and since ET is usually quite fond of correct attributions.

Second, the difference is that if Rosenberg or Avnery post in person it means that (a) they had our specific audience in mind when they wrote the piece, (b) are (or should be) prepared to elaborate on points of fact, policy and analysis and (c) presumably would not all post here in person, so we would not be inundated with diaries that cover essentially the same ground in terms of content.

Would you like some more rope? Perhaps another shovel?

As an aside, I asked that question once, albeit in a somewhat more guarded and (hopefully) polite fashion. You might be interested in what turned up in that discussion. Or maybe not. But that would be your loss.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 07:39:04 PM EST
What is ET's specific audience, Jake? I'd like to know. Has the editorial team collected and prepared a demographic deck? I don't recall being invited to respond to such a survey.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 09:17:24 PM EST
"great writers or analysts or experts"

Name them. I'll start:

Jerome a Paris

Your turn.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 10:14:48 PM EST
DeAnander, Crazy Horse, the stormy present, afew, Izzy, InWales...

By laying out pros and cons we risk inducing people to join the debate, and losing control of a process that only we fully understand. - Alan Greenspan
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 02:35:22 AM EST
I'm not sure the topic of "great writers" is one we should visit. I've been stunned by writings (and comments) here and there from so many contributors... it's why we're here.

But shergald also mentioned experts, and this is where ET shines. Seems all of us have expertise in some area or another. I have no training in finance, and learned what dangerous little i know from deal-making. Thus here there are many, yourself included, who have up-leveled my understanding (to the level of merely confused.)

I never knew anything about trains, except how to get on or off them, but DoDo's diaries are absolutely fantastic excursions into the current state of the global industry. Or his diaries on Eastern European history. Or the recent analysis of Merkel, where i was brought to a deeper understanding even though i already lived through some of the events in Germany.

We've been forced by watching Chris Cook hone his arguments to examine the financial world through completely different eyes.

The key point is bringing either original thinking or a compendium of others' thinking to the site.

i have no wish to discuss the place for shergald's posts, i can click or not as i choose, but deleting is crossing the line.

Direct to shergald: you who posts for two years here and doesn't know what Salon is should check your attitude, and realize what a privilege this place is. (that's right, you deleted the evidence that you didn't know what Salon was, so you'll have to take my word for it.)

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 03:49:57 AM EST
Afew: I looked at my last six diaries and found that I have enough comments, and don't need any more. And thanks for recommending at least three of them.

Recommendations for Obituary: The nine Turkish activists massacred on the Mavi Marmara
Oui

generic
Frank Schnittger
ARGeezer
santiago
fairleft
80 comments

Recommendations for Chomsky not aboard Gaza Freedom Flotilla, just Turks and...
ask
dvx
talos
11 comments

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:12:58 PM EST
We're obviously out to get you...

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 05:37:15 PM EST
Next time just hijack someone else's diary. What good did all that ranting do? You wasted a couple of hours of your own time, and that of others.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:06:14 PM EST
Yes, the attempt to explain the problem to you was wasted, wasn't it?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:38:07 PM EST
Only a small few of you see a problem. In a comment, I listed my last six diaries before this one on this tread, along with recommending parties and comment numbers, and all of them I believe made the rec list. Look it up.

Then come back and tell me again what the problem was.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:46:22 PM EST
New User Guide:
What are the rules for quoting off-site material?

As a general rule, we recommend users to follow three guidelines:

1. Identify your source - if it is on the web, you should link to it. (Linking is explained in point How do I embed a link? above.)
  2. Put the quoted text in blockquote (for that, see How do I insert a quote box? below). This helps readers to quickly recognise text you didn't author.
  3. Last but not least: try to keep your quote as short and concise as possible, ideally 3 paragraphs per blockquote or less. If readers want to read the full article you quote from, they can do so by following your link. A quote should only incite interest, or show claims you react to/follow up with comments in your own words. The reason you quote a passage can be further emphasized by bolding key words or half-sentences.

The above guidelines are strongly recommended for quotes from anything published off ET, be it a newspaper article or a comment in a discussion forum; or indeed even for quotes from other diaries on ET. However, they should be followed stritly as rules for copyrighted material.
(example)

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 07:12:27 PM EST
The source was an email. Should I have quoted Verizon, where my email account is located, or should I have quoted its source, Tikkun, where it would not be found?

Like I said somewhere, you're getting to sound very silly carrying this on.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 07:54:17 PM EST
Google is your friend.

That might also have helped you get the byline right.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 08:02:33 PM EST
Here's a diary of yours: you already know the title.

1. A few intro lines:
An IM conversation provoked by the new Party of European Socialists "Manifesto 2009" interactive site that we're hoping one of their people is going to announce properly:

2. blockquoted comment:

Migeru: The PES manifesto page has an entry about biofuels which assumes that biofuels are a solution to global warming!!!
Colman: What? I missed that one!
Migeru: "A much favored cure for global warming might be worse than the disease. According to a new report the use hydrogen and other biofuels will make energy prices more changeable, increase food prices and even result in a higher emission of greenhouse gases."
Colman: Eh?

Colman: That doesn't assume that.
Migeru: "a much favoured cure for global warming might be worse thanthe disease"
Migeru: means biofuels are a much favoured cure for global warming
Colman: Uh, growing crops and burning them for fuels should have zero net CO2 output
Colman: If they're not being fed with petrochemicals.
Migeru: As opposd to being eaten and pooped and returned to the earth in which case they capture CO2
Colman: Well, not if they're then composted and grown from again.
Colman: CO2 is part of the output of the decay process.
Migeru: It seems marginal, in any case
Colman: Not compared to using fossil fuels.
Colman: If you could replace all fossil fuel use with biofuels you'd have zero CO2 output from the process. Very slightly negative in fact.
Colman: I think.
Colman: Because the cycle ends up locking carbon in unusable forms.
Migeru: Another one..."Surely it must be possible to produce biofuel without compromising food production and destroying the environment?"
Migeru: Surely!
Colman: That's a question looking for a positive answer. A bit plantive.
Migeru: Well, surely not
Colman: Second generation stuff (using waste from food production) could satisfy that requirement, in theory.
Migeru: I gave them our estimate that the entire EU oil production is not enough to replace 10% of the diesel
Colman: But the capacity of second generation produciton is another matter.
Migeru: Currently it is zero
Colman: And since we don't know what its output would be we don't know what it could do.
Migeru: It's experimental technology
Colman: Yes.
Migeru: Of course, the EU could just source its biofuels from Brazil and Indonesia
Migeru: The market will provide, and all that
Colman: Not exactly sustainable, maybe.
Colman: I don't know what effect that would have on soil depletion.
Migeru: But it's not the EU's problem, is it?
Colman: It is in my book.
Colman: Now, I'm going to cut and paste this discussion into a diary.
Migeru: Er...

A final line:
There's a pile of not very well sourced assumptions in that!

Would you like to tell me if you have a writing problem?

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 07:57:48 PM EST
My, my, at this rate we're gonna run out of shovels before you're done digging...

Incidentally, around here it is considered good form to include a link to the source of quoted material. Some blockquote tags would also be nice...

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 08:05:49 PM EST
Let the man/woman reply for him/herself. Afterall, sometimes the critics get critiqued too.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 10:18:08 PM EST
And you're beginning to sound silly.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:42:37 PM EST
Mei zwei centavos ...

We've never had any policy about diaries.  We've never had any restrictions on diaries other than content be intelligent.  Shergald is sometimes the only new diarist on any particular day.

I can either read, read and comment, or ignore as I wish.

I, frankly, don't see a problem.

by ATinNM on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:04:31 PM EST
That's my policy too. If it doesn't look interesting to you, don't click on. Very simple.

by shergald on Mon Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:14:32 PM EST
except that if half the diaries in the recent list are by you, it makes the site slanted. The fact is that we don't have a lot of diaries, so one per day on that topic can be a bit too much, in terms of relative weight of topics here.

Can we at least agree that while I/P is certainly relevant for a site which care about international affairs, it is not and should not be its main focus?

Wind power

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 03:42:22 AM EST
It could be, if we had the resident expertise in the community to provide a quality of analysis similar to what we do with other subjects we cover.

The problem with shergald's newspaper clippings is that he brings no expertise to the table, in fact he brings no evidence of higher brain activity to the table at all.

As I said before shergald flushed that comment down the memory hole, and as I maintain still, it would be possible to write a news aggregation spider that would add all the value shergald adds to European Tribune.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 08:41:01 AM EST
JakeS:
Actually, we probably do.

Let's see, just off the top of my head:

kcurie did his PhD in Israel in the not too distant past.
Also recently, stormy was a working in the middle east (and travelling regularly around it), and she speaks arabic.
gk is Jewish (I forget whether he's a dual Israeli citizen) and has displayed a wealth of obscure knowledge.
ceebs has knowledge of international law.

And so on and so forth.

And, in fact, these people regularly diary or comment on the I/P problem. We had lively in-depth discussions of the 2006 Lebanon war, for instance.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 11:41:45 AM EST
Jerome, a simple comment or email from administration would have been sufficient.

Granted, due to the recent Middle East drama, more diaries were posted as events unfolded, and there have been short stretches where one a day was posted but also periods in the past two months when a week went by without a posting. Of the last 20 diaries posted, three are mine, but I do notice that Fairleft also posted a lot during the flotilla crisis and its aftermath.

It is not my intent to overwhelm the site, and I did not believe I was doing that.

Can you give me a number/week which I can stick to? Or if you wish, I can actually schedule in a manner that does not exceed a percentage of IP diaries, say in the last 20 postings.

by shergald on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 at 09:16:51 AM EST