Thanks for the link.  When I was studying Psychology in College I didn't realise I had signed up for a Department gone mad on Behaviourism, and particularly Skinnerism.  One lecturer tried to put this theory into practice.  Students had to learn off all sorts of innane details about some stories which were supposed to illustrate the theory, and got marks for completing tests on these satisfactorally - it was all rote memory stuff.  No challenge to the theory was allowed.  Completing the tests was an essential prerequisite for being allowed to sit the end of term exam.  Passing the exam was a prequisite for being allowed to stay on the Course and in College.

Ergo, everyone would learn the crap and br rewarded accordingly - thus proving the essential correctness of the theory which postualtes that behaviour which is rewarded is increased in frequency.

I refused  to do the tests, was not allowed to sit the exams, and was kicked out of College.  My appeal was turned down on the grounds that I had not met the course requirements.  There was no question of academic freedom or critical discussion having a role in the education process.

Years later they were still teaching that crap even though it had clearly not worked in my case - and many other cases as well.  The video you posted partly explains why.  My objection had more to do with academics using fascist authoritarianism to elimnate challenge to their theories, but it amounts to much of the same thing:  Try to enforce advanced cognitive tasks and people will find all sorts of ways to subvert the process.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 at 02:23:45 PM EST
You're welcome.

Behaviorism.  SKINNER!!!

eek

I share your exact University experience up to and including being tossed-out for being unwilling to stop thinking and Accept.  (Never been overwhelming notorious for that last.  :-D )

by ATinNM on Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 at 02:37:25 PM EST

I thought "academic freedom" meant the course is the professor's castle? :P

By laying out pros and cons we risk inducing people to join the debate, and losing control of a process that only we fully understand. - Alan Greenspan

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 at 03:12:37 PM EST
Bob Dylan | My Back Pages
A self-ordained professor's tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
"Equality," I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 at 03:16:19 PM EST
... the freedom of the academic to seek work elsewhere.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.
by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sat Jul 10th, 2010 at 09:20:41 PM EST
Or the freedom to be academic - and divorced from the realities of political, social and economic engagement.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sun Jul 11th, 2010 at 04:33:29 AM EST
Any such freedom is a fantasy ... academics have that freedom to the same extent as factory workers.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:26:23 PM EST
Beppe Grillo's Blog
Today, the Italian press that has always worn a muzzle, decided to also don a gag. It did so to protest against the gagging law. It's a bit like a rapist taking to the streets to protest against a rape, or a serial killer protesting against a multiple murderer, or a robber protesting about a bank heist. It is a beautiful July day. The atmosphere is decidedly less oppressive, without all of the usual paper scrawled with nonsense lying around in the streets, don't you agree? I am so pleased about this strike that I would like to see it being repeated 365 days a year. The newspapers are funded via our taxes, without which they would have to shut down. Given today's strike, I think it's only right that their annual funding be reduced by one 365th. What use are the newspapers anyway? All they do, in any event, is seek to influence public opinion on behalf of their owners and send mafia-style messages as required. The newspapers should not be confused with true information. Newspapers and true information are totally incompatible. Where the former exists, the latter is nowhere to be found. In the past few years, the only true information has been spread by the bloggers, the Web and the counter-information sites, certainly not by Scalfari's "La Repubblica" or De Bortoli's "Corriere della Sera", or for that matter even the PDwithouanel's "L'Unità". Newspapers have been rendered obsolete by the Web, just as the telegraph rendered the Pony Express obsolete so many years ago. In order to be able to publish an article, the newspapers have to somehow juggle the interests of their shareholders, which are essentially the reflected wishes of the lobby groups, and the demands of the Board of Directors, Management, the editorial committee and the Chief Editor, and then they can go ahead and type a load of nothing (at best) or perhaps a promotional piece. Where then is freedom of expression? Has anyone at the "L'Espresso" ever conducted an investigation into the Olivetti's demise at the hands of Carlo De Benedetti? Or, for that matter, did the "Corriere della Serva" ever publish an editorial against Tronchetti Provera WHILE he was Chairman of Telecom Italia? The newspapers are busy dying like flies in winter. They only manage to survive thanks to the warmth provided by public funding (*). "Libero", "Il Foglio" and "Il Riformista" would disappear overnight were it not for our tax Euros. The worst political attack against Berlusconi was the ten questions regarding his sex life. At the initial hearings in the Mills, Bassolino and Dell'Utri trials, there was only a blogger reporting on the proceedings, namely, Daniele Martinelli, while the newspapers maintained an obsequious silence.

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon Jul 12th, 2010 at 04:43:58 PM EST