I think ceebs in another thread had linked to a typewritten memo from the 1970's in which a US regulator said he agreed with the assessment that "wet containment" was flawed but that so much effort had been expended on convincing everyone that it was safe that reopening the issue would be the death of commercial nuclear power.

But I can't find the comment - it's like googling a needle in a haystack.

So, in what may be my last act of "advising", I'll advise you to cut the jargon. -- My old PhD advisor, to me, 26/2/11

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 06:14:46 AM EST
I don't remember it, but in looking on google I've come across a pdf on the effects of wet chloride insulation on the pipework of nuclear merchant ships. In notes it appears that one reason for purity of water is to prevent electrochemical reactions on inside of pipework between different materials, rather than just to avoid irradiation of dissolved minerals.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 06:52:25 AM EST
May have been ARG or asdf...

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 06:54:59 AM EST
Not me, I think...
by asdf on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 09:41:25 PM EST
I think that comment was in one of the first two threads and was by a (former?) GE engineer or a regulator. I think it was in the discussion of why he resigned. I did not post it though I may have commented on it. But you are correct in stating that we have created quite a haystack.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:03:00 AM EST
Still looking for the needle, though:

ceebs:

in 1971 the Atomic Energy Commission did a series of tests of Emergency Core Cooling systems. Accidents were simulated. In each case the emergency systems worked - but the water failed to fill the core. Often being forced out under pressure.

As one of the AEC scientists says in the film:

"We discovered that our theoretical calculations didn't have a strong correlation with reality. But we just couldn't admit to the public that all these safety systems we told you about might not do any good"

And again the warnings were ignored by senior members of the Agency and the industry.

ceebs:
Dale Bridenbaugh said the "Mark 1" design had "not yet been designed to withstand the loads" that could be experienced in a large-scale accident.

"At the time, I didn't think the utilities were taking things seriously enough," Bridenbaugh, now retired, said in a phone interview. "I felt some of the plants should have been shut down while the analysis was completed, and GE and the utilities didn't want to do that, so I left."

Bridenbaugh said that to the best of his knowledge, the design flaws he had identified were addressed at the Daiichi plant, requiring "a fairly significant expense."

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:36:48 AM EST
Ah now I remember

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:58:14 AM EST
Here, it was ceebs. But this via das monde is also relevant.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:30:48 AM EST
This is the one
September 25, 1972: memo from Joseph Hendrie (top safety official at AEC) agrees with recommendation but rejects it saying it "could well mean the end of nuclear power..."

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:38:54 AM EST
!? That's the same I link to.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 12:12:40 PM EST
I'm not saying it isn't, just bringing the link to this thread.

by Carrie (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Mar 29th, 2011 at 01:01:56 PM EST