Oh yes, I did.

migeru:

"When the American Neocons or the Bush Administration described in detail what they intended to do, people dismissed it as extreme rhetoric, only to be shocked, shocked when they went on to do exactly what they said they would do. You are now making the same mistake with the German establishment (Merkel, Schäuble, Issing, Wulff, Weber, Stark, and the list goes on and on...)

And you tell me drawing parallels with the 1930s is out of place."

And then you, instead of challenging this minimizing of fascism and conspirational thinking, just did give in:

" But whatever. The circumstances are such that it doesn't matter what we shout as long as we're shouting."

No, I don't think "just shouting" is a good thing.

by IM on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 06:21:40 AM EST
Perhaps I should have indicated that my comment was ironical. I do happen to think it matters what we shout, and I'd have thought that evident from my entire line of argument.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 07:16:14 AM EST
Looked like resignation to me. You did argue for some sense and against the godwinning of discourse, but then you just seemed to give up. That anything goes as long as you  show the right spirit is an all to commmon attitude on left wing blogs and so I did mistake your irony for that attitude.
by IM on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 07:24:02 AM EST
I don't know or care what is all too common on what you choose to call left-wing blogs. In any case, that comment was not my last in that thread.

And while you're looking at the "Henkel" discussion, look at this exchange.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 08:15:21 AM EST
Spare me your arrogance. I use the usual definition of left wing blogs. I mean, how do you think I did find ET? On orders of the Bundesbank?

And since you rightly pointed out that using terms like untermenschen, implying that Merkel is a fascist is wrong, why do deny that there is a certain language problem here?

by IM on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 08:26:46 AM EST
I'm denying there's a certain language problem?

Or have I not argued that there was?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 08:46:43 AM EST
You lost me there.