... specifically the picture of the furnicular and the Minimetro ... for this week's Sunday Train, Sunday Train: Cycle & Pedestrian Islands and Tiny Trains

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.
by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Aug 5th, 2012 at 09:05:25 PM EST
Nice post!  Can you cross post it to ET?  (or happy post it if you prefer)

Another bike-up-the-hill idea would be to take the basic ski t-bar/pom approach.  I have wondered whether a simple continuous rope belt with loops or knots to hold would allow a reasonably experienced cyclist to get hauled up a hill.  It would need to move fairly fast to allow for stability, but that would also make it fairly attractive as a commute-assist.

by njh on Tue Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:52:39 PM EST
The advantage of the Trampe is that it doesn't require the person to be an experienced cyclist. Beyond a more secure foot stand ~ something which cradles the ankle and calf a bit ~ would be something that you attach to your bike, and then away you go. It would go on the front handlebar and frame, like one of those things that hold the front wheel steady while you are working on a bike.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Wed Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:44:59 PM EST
But the trampe seems fairly expensive to install compared to a tow rope.
by njh on Thu Aug 9th, 2012 at 01:03:16 AM EST
Something you can attach to the bike precludes continuous operation. A more secure footstand still allows you to pull your foot out at the top without having to stop the machine.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Aug 9th, 2012 at 05:38:01 AM EST
Actually continuous movement of the cable does not necessarily require continuous movement of the attachment to the cable, but the engagement / disengagement mechanism is a safety-critical problem in industrial engineering.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Thu Aug 9th, 2012 at 12:59:31 PM EST
Ski tows are fairly reliable, but always have an attendant.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II
by eurogreen on Fri Aug 10th, 2012 at 07:14:01 AM EST
And yet, the Trampe does not have an attendant ~ that is essential to its functioning.

It seems very safe, given the slow speed. If someone falls off, and falls over, it will be a sideways fall, likely a fall off the bike. If the bike or the person then forms an obstruction, people further down the Trampe can pull their foot off. stand on the curb, and then either walk or bike up the hill, likely (though this might vary depending on local) first helping the person who fell.

The very precariousness of resting your foot on a small metal plate would seem to improve the safety of the device, since there's very little that could catch and drag someone, which is an issue of concern with any automated people mover.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sat Aug 11th, 2012 at 02:12:26 PM EST
In Lyon there has been much talk of a funicular or similar for bicycles, for mounting the fearsome Croix Rousse hill. It was costed at €15M and the idea was abandoned, though I see there is now talk of building a Trampe system as in Trondheim.

However, there is a project being built of a nature you didn't mention : a bicycle tunnel. The same Croix Rousse hill has a road tunnel running under it. A second tube was required, to bring it up to modern security norms; this tube will be dedicated to bicycle, pedestrian and bus traffic. It's to open in 2014.

by eurogreen on Wed Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:32:07 PM EST
... there is also a tram/bicycle/foot bridge being built, to link the tip of the peninsula (almost literally an "island") to the left bank.

Lyon is becoming a fairly decent place to ride a bike.

And with that... I'm on my bike (down the dreaded Croix Rousse hill)

by eurogreen on Wed Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:58:02 PM EST
On a bike? You're a courageous man.
Everybody know you get up and down the Croix Rousse via the traboules...
by Bernard on Wed Aug 8th, 2012 at 04:30:06 PM EST