An American strategic analyst I met briefly at a conference way back in Copenhagen insisted that 3.18 was a magic number of stability in 'economics': he had some algorithm based on sustainable growth, paying down debt through inflation and the fact that 3.18% growth would represent a doubling in 22 years i.e. a generation.  He never once mentioned chaos theory, but (and here I am open to brickbats) in complex dynamic systems there does appear to be algorithmic significance.

I'm not impressed by generational theories since the birth rate in most societies is fairly stable during a couple of decades. 'Generation' as in 'Talking about my...'. Generations continuously overlap, but the major phenomena that influence the culture of a society (pan-generationally): Depression, WWII, the Beatles, Thatcher, or whatever, do have an impact/aftermath that is maintained within a certain period (22 years?), after which the phenomena tend to become museified.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:16:49 PM EST
22 years i.e. a generation

Yeah, and 22 = 2*11.

I distribute. You re-distribute. He gives your hard-earned money to lazy scroungers. -- JakeS

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:25:40 PM EST
I shall leave others to point out the significance of fractal dimensions - it's beyond my pay grade.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:34:36 PM EST
Which goes to prove all even numbers can be derived as the sum of two primes.

by ATinNM on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:47:15 PM EST
Do not drink and derive.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 02:51:36 PM EST
Algorithm:  A process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations

The canonical definition of the Mandlebrot Set:

Is an algorithm.

So is the Feigenbaum Function.  But whether one "gets" this:

this:

or this:

depends on one's interpretive stance.

[Note:  the last is a sculpture presented to Dr. Feigenbaum by Stephen Wolfram.]

by ATinNM on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:41:10 PM EST
It's good to know that obfuscational colleagues can rise to the occasion ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:49:04 PM EST
Not as such:

ABSTRACT. We provide a definition of an attractor to a multivalued iterated function system (IFS) modelled on previous ones existing in the literature (e.g. [Hale, J. K.: Asymptotic Behavior of Dissipative Systems. Math. Surveys Monographs 25, Amer. Math. Soc, Providence, RI, 1988]). Such an attractor expressing asymptotic behaviour of a system does not need to be invariant. Then, as a remedy there serves the uniform Hausdorff upper semicontinuity It was recently shown that condensing multifunctions possess a maximal invariant set which is
compact. The theorem ensuring the existence of attractors considered here also exploits compactness-like hypothesis slightly stronger than condensity, namely contractivity with respect to measure of noncompactness. Hence contractivity in measure and uniform Hausdorff upper semicontinuity together do guarantee existence of a compact attractor which is maximal invariant and unique. We also supply examples (e.g. unbounded attractor) and state further questions.

:-þ
pfffffffttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

by ATinNM on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 02:03:30 PM EST
I shall introduce you to my friends in Finland as a nutter. It's expected of me.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 02:16:25 PM EST
Nutter?  Not as such.  I very seldom go gathering nuts.

I prefer to think of myself as one who works on the leading edge, expanding the boundaries of what is possible with human/cybernetic Information Systems:

by ATinNM on Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 02:29:20 PM EST