Skimmed your article and a few thing came to mind.

1. You live in England, not in California.

2. You still have royalty in this modern age and apparently, these folks still hold political power behind the scene.

3. I just hit Wiki and dug this up about your mighty "House of Lords"

"Unlike the elected House of Commons, most new members of the House of Lords are appointed.[3] Membership of the House of Lords is made up of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal."

i.e. they're a bunch from the 1%

Bottom Line: England is still a feudal country. Today you're England, tomorrow Egypt, heading to being Palestinians. Get used to it.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 07:26:54 AM EST
they're a bunch from the 1%

You appear to believe the Lords are of the 1% and the Commons are not.

The reality is that the Commons are from the 1%. I prefer to call the House of Commons the House of Posh as the Common are not represented.

I distribute. You re-distribute. He gives your hard-earned money to lazy scroungers. -- JakeS

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 07:40:04 AM EST
No No. My point is that a vast amount of England's political power isn't even elected! They're stuck with a bunch of assholes they can't get rid of, short of a bullet. And heavens, that would be uncivilized. LOL

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 07:48:40 AM EST
"Second Amendment remedies"

-----
sapere aude
by Number 6 on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 07:56:18 AM EST
Have you tried voting out the chairman of Goldman Sachs lately? Just saying.
by generic on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 09:00:05 AM EST
We have our royalty-type people ... rich ,,, influential ... all that shit. At least we in CA have a chance. Example.

Last race for Governor. Meg Whitman ... rich as all shit; spent in excess of $100 million of her own bucks ... and got her ass handed to her by Jerry Brown.

We ain't perfect ... as least we have a chance.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 09:35:40 AM EST
A friend of his is going to run the BoE ...

-----
sapere aude
by Number 6 on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:10:04 AM EST
the actual formulation of the branches of govt is neither here nor there, the issue is that the House of Commons has become just as unrepresentative of the life lived by most people as the house of lords.

We now have a professional cadre of politicians who have lived lives of privilege and separation such that they have far more in common with each other across the party divide than they do with the people they represent.

This matters less for the tories, who aren't supposed to give a toss in the first place. But it matters for labour who, as we saw under Blair, legislate in horrendous ignorance and indifference to the damage they cause

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 11:27:19 AM EST

So whose fault is that?

The only goal of the people who are supposed to represent you is to become one of the 1% and then get knighted by the Queen!

"Oh, did you hear, I was knighted and I got to kiss the Queen's hand. How exciting!!  I almost farted, I was so excited!"

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 02:40:45 PM EST
I was at Stanford when she visited California. The enthusiasm for her surpassed anything I've seen in the U.K.....
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 04:10:14 PM EST
The same response you get for the two-headed freak at a carnival.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 07:48:11 PM EST
I wasn't aware that people in California tried to hard to get invited to dinner with the freak. Nor did I know that the papers published articles about etiquette when presented to the freak. I guess California is weirder than I realized.
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Fri Feb 1st, 2013 at 03:34:45 PM EST
"It seemed to be a chronic disease. It was as if even the most intelligent person had this little blank spot in their heads where someone had written: "Kings. What a good idea." Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

-----
sapere aude
by Number 6 on Fri Feb 1st, 2013 at 05:58:45 AM EST
Not so much a feudal country as a thousand feudal villages.

-----