The Origins of the Overclass
The wealthy have always used many methods to accumulate wealth, but it was not until the mid-1970s that these methods coalesced into a superbly organized, cohesive and efficient machine. After 1975, it became greater than the sum of its parts, a smooth flowing organization of advocacy groups, lobbyists, think tanks, conservative foundations, and PR firms that hurtled the richest 1 percent into the stratosphere.

The origins of this machine, interestingly enough, can be traced back to the CIA. This is not to say the machine is a formal CIA operation, complete with code name and signed documents. (Although such evidence may yet surface -- and previously unthinkable domestic operations such as MK-ULTRA, CHAOS and MOCKINGBIRD show this to be a distinct possibility.) But what we do know already indicts the CIA strongly enough. Its principle creators were Irving Kristol, Paul Weyrich, William Simon, Richard Mellon Scaife, Frank Shakespeare, William F. Buckley, Jr., the Rockefeller family, and more. Almost all the machine's creators had CIA backgrounds.

by das monde on Tue Feb 14th, 2017 at 01:00:41 AM EST
Interesting ... you might have a kindred spirit in Arthur Gilroy over at Booman.  He frequently comments on the CIA.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Tue Feb 14th, 2017 at 06:48:13 AM EST
Ok, I noticed him.

Elitism and Intelligence are closely tied both ways:

Considering the importance and all-consuming nature of the work I was doing at the Agency; considering the missionary zeal, sense of elitism and marvelous camaraderie among my colleagues there [...] -- considering all of this, one can see how easy it would have been for me to drop out of that world and immerse myself exclusively in the cloak-and-dagger life. And some of my colleagues at the Agency did just that. Socially as well as professionally they cliqued together, forming a sealed fraternity. They ate together at their own special favorite restaurants; they partied almost only among themselves; their families drifted to each other, so their defenses did not always have to be up. In this way they increasingly separated themselves from the ordinary world and developed a rather skewed view of the world. Their own dedicated double life became the proper norm, and they looked down on the life of the rest of citizenry. And out of this grew what was later named -- and condemned -- as the "cult" of intelligence, an inbred, distorted elitist view of intelligence that held above the normal processes of society, with its own rationale and justification, beyond the restraints of the Constitution, which applied to everything and everyone else.

"Honorable Men: My Life in the CIA" (1978, pg 86-87) -- William Colby, CIA Director 1973-1976

by das monde on Tue Feb 14th, 2017 at 12:38:28 PM EST
The CIA doesn't need to have it as one of it's actual operations.  There is enough cross-pollination just from the class structure.  The US State Department and intelligence communities (and the military officer class for that matter) have always been the playgrounds of Ivy Leaguers and southern equivalents, with an influx of Mormon water-carriers over the last 40 years.  When I took a shot at the Foreign Service 35+ years ago, I was brought in for a look because they saw my degree from Utah State and thought I was LDS.  I'm not, and my Michigan law degree just wasn't Ivy (a fact that never ceases to drive Wolverine alums up a tree).  "It's a fine school, but it just isn't one of OUR schools, old boy.  I'm sure you understand.  The door is that way."
by rifek on Wed Feb 15th, 2017 at 02:19:21 AM EST
So you want a red badge, because you got dinged?

I grew up in MI and am a Bo-wolverine through and through. My dad was MI gov't, a black republican,criminal justice. CIA and FBI were still recruiting at Yale when I was there thirty years ago with Kearny, Booz, McKinsey, &tc. In fact one of my roomates, an immigrant, a Canadian trustafarian with Russian language skills got hired.

I didn't apply at all. So. Where's my 4-point up-vote for economic and political oppression by the man, punk?

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Sun Feb 19th, 2017 at 08:58:22 PM EST

Now now, let's watch the language.  Where do you think you are ... the Booman Tribune? 😂 😝

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Sun Feb 19th, 2017 at 09:22:47 PM EST
"Punk"?   Whatever.
by rifek on Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 at 06:30:20 AM EST
John and Allen Dulles: "founding fathers" of the corporate culture of US intelligence agencies including the FBI that inexplicably (if MSM commentary is to be trusted) are meddling with and interfering in impunity of the the office of the POTUS.

Here is timely opposition to manufactured consent to "national security" courage, impunity, and heroic acts: secretive meddling and interference is a good thing.

The most historically interesting element of this moment is the rarity of seeing the CIA operating, in real time, not in its usual historical role as a covert arm of the presidency (which Congressman Otis Pike argued was its primary function), but as the sort of rogue elephant that Senator Frank Church and others long ago claimed it is.

The CIA as Kingslayer

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Sun Feb 19th, 2017 at 07:59:51 PM EST