Some good discussion about Desertec we had here.

Also http://www.eurotrib.com/story/2008/10/23/54014/161
About biogas.
Sorry for lazy linking, I am on tablet

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 at 02:31:17 AM EST
I suppose, one should characterize that thread a seminal discussion of the project. Commenters establish criteria by which to test the "good" value of its ethical construction that persist today. These pertain to technical feasibility and the subjective arbiter which is self-referential even within the most abstruse subtext of this discourse, extraterrestrial colonization. No where do commenters address capital expense (debt) incurred, demand, equity ("interest in"), or preferences of "North African" peoples purportedly investing in this EU project.

Three years later I contested this bias (2010).

The PwC business case, "100% Renewable, a roadmap to 2050 for Europe and North Africa," is here.

I still do. And little of eurotrib commenters' prejudices and advocacy for the project has changed despite a series of very unfortunate geopolitical events marshaled by NATO since 2007 to destabilize the sovereignty and security of "North Africa".

On those issues and others that directly express the economic interest in and priorities of the peoples of "North Africa" the gallery is silent.

Why is that?

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 at 02:47:04 PM EST
Good question!
ET was initially founded by an energy investment banker, so rotated principally around energy and economics.
Later it became more sociopolitical, eclectic and cultural. .

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 at 08:57:23 PM EST
Yes. I first met Jerome through my participation in EA2020 project. Energize America: Remember that? My task was constructing a US vehicle population model and glossary of assumptions from which to project fuel efficiency gain (loss) in bbl and USD, attributable to EA incentive proposals. Like others in this um primitive crowdsourced operation, I wrote a few (unorthodox) posts at DK to promote EA2020.

Of course, I migrated to eurotrib, when DK electioneering content began to curdle. I don't recall either Jerome,Crazy Horse, or Adam doing any business anywhere in Africa, do you?

That's alllll gone now. DK purged inactive accounts  records (and the glossary!) sometime 2013-2014. I've accidentally and deliberately purged many old files on obscolete, local drives. So goes the truth in "sociopolitical, eclectic and cultural" whathaveyou?

a whole language has vanished from the Western left's vocabulary: class struggle, international solidarity, peace among peoples, social justice, exploitation, poverty. They are so illiterate in left theory and experience that the call the ruling class's booth [SIC] on their faces, "the deep state..."

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Sun Aug 13th, 2017 at 04:50:29 PM EST
Well, in the case of Libya, most of the Europeans were adamantly opposed to what happened, as I recalled, and for reasons that turned out to be quite prescient. Less so for myself. :-)

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Sun Aug 13th, 2017 at 03:56:33 PM EST
Manifest opposition by "most Europeans" to governments' war with, or meddling and interference in, Libya's sovereignty.
Libyan opposition fights for recognition both at home and abroad

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Sun Aug 13th, 2017 at 05:10:54 PM EST
What I meant was 'most Europeans on ET', but I omitted to say that last part.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Tue Aug 15th, 2017 at 09:43:47 PM EST