I've moved those images below the fold because I've just realised that the site was basically promoting them on the front page. Let's not do that.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Apr 23rd, 2018 at 12:16:30 PM EST
I doubt it matters, since hardly anybody appears to be reading or commenting on the European Tribune any more. I think we have to give serious consideration to shutting ourselves down.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon Apr 23rd, 2018 at 04:35:19 PM EST
I certainly hope that's not the outcome of the present state of affairs!

When BooMan and EuroTrib had the Sitemeter, there was a period when readership @EuroTrib closed in on the numbers @BooMan. There was a variety of great writers and topics here at ET.

Perhaps wise to request feed-back on which topics should be highlighted at ET to make that difference again.

I could imagine that the younger generation are invested in time on social media in brief bursts of freedom.

Has the editorial team discussed a link to a Twitter and a Facebook page to promote the blog with such a valuable history?

Decency is still of value in debate!

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.

by Oui on Mon Apr 23rd, 2018 at 05:35:52 PM EST
ET even has already a Facebook-page. But same as it ever was, maintaining such new tools is about man power - fte's or volunteers. As things are, I've a few minutes per day left, if any. Without Frank, this place would be mostly standing still.

I find Facebook too flighty and too disorganized by design, but it's where I see many of the active ET-commenters re-appear. So even Tribbers have moved on. ET may yet return as a platform for information sharing, international discussion and fierce disagreements - but I suspect it can only happen if it sheds its skin.

by Bjinse on Thu Apr 26th, 2018 at 08:41:54 PM EST
Maybe not, but it's the principle of the thing.

As to the rest, I'm quite happy to maintain the site, and people either write or they don't. It's resource usage is negligible. The archive is worthwhile to some people, so shutting it down doesn't seem necessary.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 24th, 2018 at 08:25:04 AM EST
Everything has its time: ET's may have passed for ever or it may return. Who knows? Backlash against mass social media channels may drive people back to other formats, at least in part.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 24th, 2018 at 08:27:53 AM EST
Much appreciated for the great effort throughout the years ... indeed the archived articles are precious.

THANKS TO ALL - especially the editorial team.

A great line-up of Alumni  :-)

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.

by Oui on Tue Apr 24th, 2018 at 09:37:21 AM EST
Thank you.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Wed Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:40:50 PM EST