Yes, everything in its proper order.  Rowling was the "introductory drug" for my kids that led them to L'Engle, Pullman, and all sorts of wild things.  I, on the other hand, got things rather backwards.  Norse sagas and Beowulf led me to Tolkien.  By the time I got to Lewis a few years later, not only was I not interested in such fluff because I'd already read the real deal, but I could easily see that it was all Christian propaganda and apologetics of a slap-across-the-face-with-a-wet-herring level of subtlety.  When I finished them (I always finish.  I even finished Atlas Shrugged.  Ewww.), my predominant thought was, "Well, I can't get THAT time back."  I recovered by reading Frankenstein.  But I didn't recover enough to want to revisit Narnia.
by rifek on Sat Apr 13th, 2019 at 07:56:10 PM EST
I read and re-read Narnia in middle school. Probably several times, enough to remember that I noticed that the books where Aslan was less present were the best ones.

Also I was intrigued by what I perceived as hints at deeper layers. Reading them to my kids I realise that it is simply Lewis borrowing from different mythologies (and not consistently either), with a wink and a nod for the adults. So I wasn't wrong, it was deeper layers, it is just layers of mythology older and outside Christianity.

I also usually always finish books, but I do remember trying to read The Three Musketeers in middle school. The  librarian did warn me that it could be to advanced, but than again it was people fighting with swords on the cover. Don't think I got through the first page, despite several attempts. First book I returned without having read, strange experience. I have doubled back and read it later, but at the time it was very confusing.

by fjallstrom on Sat Apr 13th, 2019 at 11:40:41 PM EST
You guys literary literacy amazes me. Having the start of a possie of grandchildren, 2 so far, one on the way, oldest aged 4, means I am soon going to have to start on this journey. As a child I was too engrossed in my own dreams to be bothered with others, but I have never been able to write in that genre. So what would really be helpful to me is an analysis of what engages kids minds, and what should be avoided. Imagination can be so free form, and often, for me, so pointless. Often with sinister political undertones. You don't want to be trapped in somebody else's imaginary web. So what books would you recommend?

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sun Apr 14th, 2019 at 10:43:25 AM EST
At that age I read them mostly rhyming, rhythmic stories. Mostly for my own sanity, because when they found something they loved they wanted to hear it again and again and again. My favourites include The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My and Who Will Comfort Toffle?, both by Tove Jansson.

Later on, I've read them a lot of Hans Christian Andersen and other fairy tales, often in older, slightly archaic translations, because it was good to get them to fall asleep.

Now that they can read a bit themselves, they have a ton of opinions about what they should read, and my philosophy is mainly to encourage reading. There seems to be lots and lots of new children's books coming out, and I think most of what they read is pretty recently written by Swedish authors. Handbok för superhjältar is such a smash hit that I wouldn't be surprised if it's translated soon, though. Young girl finds a Handbook for Superheroes on a dusty shelf in a library or an old bookstore and through the powers of reading and training, evolves super powers of her own. And then she fights crime and bullying. Cool illustrations and easy text, so good for new readers (if and when they are translated into English).

As to what effect books has on impressionable young minds, I'm not sure. They do have effect, but when I go back and re-read scifi I read as a teen, half the story isn't there. Instead of the rich stories and interesting characters I now find flat stories and cardboard characters. But that means that the story as I read it, and the story that impressed me, was largely constructed in my own imagination.

Then again I wouldn't say the content doesn't matter. The first real book I read was "Small is Beautiful". I think I read that one half a dozen times before reading anything else. It is the story about a small dragon that lives with the lizards, but wants to be big. It doesn't listen when the lizards tells him that "Small is beautiful, lagom is best". So it hunts more and more, and gets other animals to hunt for it, for a share of the meat. Eventually it starts growing more heads, I in particular remember the smooth talking head and the fire breathing head. It becomes so large that it dominated the whole forest and the wolf pack decides it needs to be the avant garde of the animals and attack it. Their attack on the dragon fails though, and the dragon grows larger and larger until it poops so much that it's destroying the forest itself. In the end all the animals unite, from the smallest lizard to the largest bear and only then can they overthrow the industrial capitalistic system, I mean the dragon, and a new era can start in the forest. Though in the final picture a dragon egg is resting among the lizard eggs, but perhaps this time the dragon will listen to the lizards?

Given that I have not read it since, it might not have been as obvious eco anarchistic propaganda as I remember it. Though with that title, it probably was. And maybe it was that I was attracted to the content based on already forming values? Though again, maybe it did have that strong an effect on me. In which case, I really should track down a copy and read it to the kids, just to make sure.

by fjallstrom on Sun Apr 14th, 2019 at 07:24:27 PM EST
Thanks! I will look out for it!

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon Apr 15th, 2019 at 09:22:05 PM EST
The first real book I read was "Small is Beautiful".

I thought you were talking about the book by E.F. Schumacher... Made a big impression on me. For adolescents :)

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Wed Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:03:31 AM EST
If I had tried that when I just had gotten the hang of reading comics, I doubt I would have gotten through it :)

The children's book Liten är fin, which translates literally to Small is beautiful, is written five years later. Given title and content, I think the inspiration is pretty clear.

by fjallstrom on Wed Apr 17th, 2019 at 05:37:39 PM EST
Picture books, rhymes, good messages : this is old stuff that worked for me, and for my children. Any grandchildren will probably get the same treatment.

Banal, but effective : Dr Seuss.
Brainwashed generations of children into political correctness, right under their unsuspecting parents' noses. ABC and Cat in the Hat, are the entry level ones.

Maurice Sendak : Darker undertones, more moving. The Night Kitchen, Where the Wild things are.

by eurogreen on Wed Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:01:24 AM EST

Ulster says NO!

by Frank Schnittger - Oct 17
43 comments

Trump's Presidency Transfixed

by ARGeezer - Oct 17
14 comments

Spain is not a democracy

by IdiotSavant - Oct 14