Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
I disagree. I think it is a very bad electoral system because it causes huge polarisation in society and an inability to work across the aisle because it tends to punish such behaviour. (Just watch the drubbing May and probably Corbyn get for even attempting it).

The other problem is it can lead to hugely disproportionate results. Labour could win the next general election with less than 30% of the vote if the remaining 70% is divided fairly evenly between the Conservatives, Brexit Party, Lib Dems, UKIP, ChangeUK and Greens.

The only thing stopping |Labour getting an overall majority is the regional disparities between Scotland, N. Ireland, Wales, and north and southern England which means that regionally strong parties can pick pick up seats with less than 5% of the UK wide vote.

So it leads to social, political, economic, inter-generational, and regional inequalities as exacerbating those differences and tensions is the only way those parties can survive.

Contrast that with Ireland where more extreme parties general do less well because they fail to pick up as many lower preference vote transfers from other parties/candidates.

Note the difference with N.I. where the DUP can dominate the FPTP Westminster elections with c. 35% of the vote but struggle to get 30% of the votes and seats in proportional Euro, assembly and Local elections because voters know a vote for a smaller party is not a "wasted" vote.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon Apr 29th, 2019 at 02:19:08 PM EST
[ Parent ]

Others have rated this comment as follows:


Occasional Series