UK Council election is not my cup of tea ;)

I did take a look at the results in the first decade where the Conservatives made overwhelming gains vs Labour with leaders Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. UKIP did briefly upset some results later, but the local elections also have a very low turn-out.

The local elections for councillors should not be a measure of nationwide politics and policies. Often the themes like Brexit will trump local issues ... will the voter go to the polling booth or just stay away from frustration?

In the US the right-wing influence in the Republican Party grew in State elections and for governorships. The massive gains by Tea Party candidates forced a change in nationwide election campaigns and made the success of a nitwit like Donald Trump possible. Nobody wanted Trump, but now the GOP welcomes his "success" in cutting tax rates for the wealthy and the profits for corporations as the DOW soares to record highs. No one is talking federal debt as the monetary policy keeps the Fed rates at an all-time low.

See my new comment on the Fed nominee Stephen Moore - what a joke! American exceptionalism.

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.

by Oui on Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 09:11:44 AM EST
Did you miss it? After the failed candidacy of Herman Cain for a seat on the Fed, Trump has proposed Stephen Moore for that very seat. Just unbelievable ... Trump does all that God forbids ... sorry I forgot, God is owned by the Evangelical preachers across the Wild West and Red states.

Link to my comment here, read more ...

Re: The American Century - End of Exceptionalism

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.

by Oui on Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 02:05:16 PM EST
Thursday morning, despite an increasing chorus of skeptics among Senate Republicans, Stephen Moore insisted that he was still on the verge of being formally nominated to the Federal Reserve's Board of Governors.

"I'm all in," he told Bloomberg reporters.

The White House, however, was not. Within a couple of hours, President Donald Trump had pulled the plug. "Steve Moore, a great pro-growth economist and a truly fine person, has decided to withdraw from the Fed process," he tweeted. "I've asked Steve to work with me toward future economic growth in our Country."

Moore follows Herman Cain, whom Trump said he would nominate to the Fed but who withdrew after extensive criticism, especially over past accusations of sexual harassment. In Moore's case, the crucial flaws were a long record of economic illiteracy and offensive remarks, especially about women.

Trump sure picks 'em.

I used to be afew. I'm still not many.

by john_evans (john(dot)evans(dot)et(at)gmail(dot)com) on Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 03:44:31 PM EST
Doh, now I've clicked on your link...

I used to be afew. I'm still not many.
by john_evans (john(dot)evans(dot)et(at)gmail(dot)com) on Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 03:46:09 PM EST
Clearly, truly, a fine person, fit to walk in Trump's footsteps, a few paces back...

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 05:26:49 PM EST
Are there any anti-growth economists? "pro-growth economist" is meaningless noise.
by StillInTheWilderness on Mon May 13th, 2019 at 04:25:54 PM EST
Doesn't that describe all the austerity economists?
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Mon May 13th, 2019 at 04:31:52 PM EST
Kenneth Boulding a co-founder of General Systems Theory.

One of his quotes:

Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.

by ATinNM on Tue May 14th, 2019 at 04:32:09 PM EST
What I haven't figured out (for want of interest) is why so much, if not all, public opposition to these nominees has come from the GOP organ of "surrogates". How is it, given the circumstances of Trump "tyranny" and deregulation, that any of them may be bothered to object?

I suppose, the nominee who finally poses no objections from GOP senators will supply a rationale of sorts, typically, profit potential.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 03:48:00 PM EST