Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
Display:
Toady's second round is held in 4600 cities throughout the country, 13% of the 34968 municipalities in France. In the other 87%, the municipal council was elected during the first round, on Sunday 15 March, with a list having reached an absolute majority (this is the case in my town), a few days before the government ordered a countrywide lockdown.

These 4600 municipalities actually account for 38% of the French population, as they include the largest cities, like Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Lille, Strasbourg or Nantes.

Fun fact: With close to 35000 municipalities (37962 in 1960), France accounts for almost half of the 80000  municipal governments in Europe. 73% of them are small communes with a population under 1000. There are 19 villages with less than 7 permanent residents, including, near Verdun in Northeastern France, six entirely unpopulated villages since WW I.

by Bernard on Sun Jun 28th, 2020 at 03:27:31 PM EST

Others have rated this comment as follows:

Display:

Occasional Series